Gunboards Forums banner

AR15 magazine recommendations

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  capt ron 
#1 ·
I snagged a Stag AR today at an online estate auction today. What is the current wisdom on the best value mags these days.

#5 ·
+1,000,000.

#4 ·
C Mags from CDNN have done okay by me. I've even used them in matches with no FTF. $6.99 each if you get on their mailing list (they hold sales of them about every month).

#6 ·
My buddies here in town are also fans of Pmags. Interesting recommendation, Hambone. I have a ten-round mag for my AK just for bench work and I should get something similar for this new rifle. Thanks for the reminder.

#9 ·
How are they over-hyped? They don't dent and stay dented, they don't rust, they're quieter when in contact with other gear, and they run like a scalded dog, even topped off completely with 30 instead of 28 rounds. I have yet to get a magazine related failure with PMags.

#12 ·
buds gun shop sells 10 of the doublestar brand for under a hundred bucks shipped sometimes, and I've shot lot through them with no malfunctions at all. It's all I have now. They have some with the no tilt follower too.

#15 ·
I like Magpuls. All of my other mags work fine too. I've got plenty black teflon DH curved 20s and I like them alot, and like my grey Brownells curved 20s, particularly at $9 new. To each his own and I'm thankful we have so many good choices of mags.

If anyone wants to argue about something, here's some controversy: I think 30 round mags in a semi-auto AR take up too much room, make the weapon unwieldy, and are inefficient (i.e., take up too much space for what you get). ;) I've got plenty of them, but more 20s. A full box of 5.56 per mag and they fit in your pockets too. I love 20s. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
well, i've never had a GI mag rust...... whoever said that about rusting. and HAM, you're right about the 20's being easy to carry, but for pure coolness and less reloading in a stressful sitiAtion, i'll take the 30's.

#17 ·
Falm, my finger starts getting tired working through a 30 on semi ;) It's easier at 500-550 rpm. I also prefer 10rd mags in my M1As. I posted a pic of one of my M1A builds awhile back and a sympathetic soul complimented my rifle but extended sympathies for living in a ban state (I don't) ;)

On PMAGS, I think I paid $14 for my windowed 30s and maybe $12 for my 20s. It was worth it to me.

#18 ·
Agreed on the 20s, tho' I own 30s as well. Have an M16A1 clone like my issue rifle many moons ago (no buzz switch, of course) built from a NOS Colt upper and a NoDak lower; it would be a crime to use 30s in it.
A LULA makes mag loading (and especially UNLOADING) a whole lot more pleasant. Saves wear and tear on the mags as well.
Moon

#20 ·
I've never ponied up the cash to try a Pmag... I've got some old GI's that Uncle Sam forgot to ask for back, and C-products mags from AIM. I found the C-products anti-tilt followers for like a buck at a gunshow and upgraded the GI's. All work great, and as far as I can tell my only downside(?) is less flashy black plastic

#22 ·
i have had/used most kinds of mags for the AR and usually just buy what i can find ( new and used), there have been some new ones lately for less than $5 each. i don't think i ever paid over $15 for a mag. when i get a used one i take it apart and clean it , new one i just load them up. i have seen shooter at the range that will only use a certain brand/style mag and usually they pay a lot more for them. if the mag function for me i will use them, if not i use them for parts or sell them.

ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.