Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question,

I am fairly new to AR's and purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 a while back. My question is, can the front sight base be removed and a different gas block be installed? Right now it has no carry handle with fold down rear sights and the fixed sight block front sight.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The base can be removed on almost all AR clones.

Usually, the base is held on by two TIGHT tapered pins.
Removal can sometimes be difficult since the pins are so tightly installed.

To remove, get the barrel in a well supported, No bounce-no move setup using hard wood blocks. If the rifle moves at all when struck, the pins may deform and actually lock in place tighter.

Cut off a standard pin punch to about 1/2" or so working length. This is known as a "starter punch". This prevents the punch from bending or flexing on tight pins and directs all the force to the pins.
Once the pins are moving out, switch to a standard length punch.
Use a heavy dead-blow hammer.

The pins are on the bottom side of the front sight support and are driven out from LEFT to right. (as you'd sight down the barrel.

When installing a gas block, you have to be SURE to get it properly aligned with the gas port in the barrel.

If you're not 100% SURE about doing this, have a gunsmith do it. New barrels are expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.