Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a brand new upper from Bear Creek Arsenal, in 7.62x39 - I bought from them because of the enhanced firing pin so I can shoot berdan primed ammo reliably. I put 60 rds through it, went to clean it.

I barely wiped the extractor down with a soft cloth and the extractor spring and whatever pin it sits on just snapped right off with no pressure.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Varnish

I have contacted BCA, and I'm basically waiting on them.

In the meantime, can this be fixed (re-weld on?) Thinking about dropping the upper off with a gunsmith anyways just to be sure nothing else is FUBAR with this upper because I have never seen this before. And a gunsmith might could fix this one.

Otherwise I'd get another 7.62x39 extractor either free through BCA customer service (if they're good enough) or I'll look around for other companies that make 7.62x39 extractors for ARs.

Either way, not feeling super confident in BCA.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
55,560 Posts
The pin that holds the extractor in broke or has fallen out? Did you remove the extractor and was wiping it down off the BCG? I’m not seeing the pin that is broke…

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pin that holds the extractor in broke or has fallen out? Did you remove the extractor and was wiping it down off the BCG? I’m not seeing the pin that is broke…
No, the retaining pin is fine. I removed the extractor to clean it and the place where it sits in the bolt. What broke is whatever holds the extractor spring on the inside of the extractor, as you can see it laying separate of the extractor itself.

·
55,560 Posts
The spring should not not be attached to the extractor and there is no pin holding it to the extractor. I believe what you are calling the "pin" is (on other makes I've seen) is a small polymer insert that goes inside the spring to help it work better (anti bounce or to give increased tension).

In short nothing appears wrong, nothing is broke. Oil, clean and reinstall and you should be good to go (y)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spring should not not be attached to the extractor and there is no pin holding it to the extractor. I believe what you are calling the "pin" is (on other makes I've seen) is a small polymer insert that goes inside the spring to help it work better (anti bounce or to give increased tension).

In short nothing appears wrong, nothing is broke. Oil, clean and reinstall and you should be good to go (y)
I don't understand, I've never seen the extractor spring come apart from the extractor before? I was in the military for 13 years and I also own an M&P 15. I've never seen it come off before and neither has a friend of mine who is a Sergeant Major. I'm confused?

·
55,560 Posts
The extractor spring fits inside the cut out of the extractor and is not pinned in, the cut ought to be undercut slightly so the spring will not fall out. You are correct in that it should be retained in the extractor unless you are purposely removing it.

Try installing the spring, fat side of the spring in the extractor cutout area (the spring is wider on one end, this is the side that goes into the extractor) and see if you feel or hear a slight click when it seats in the extractor. It could be the spring has lost some tension or maybe it has been installed improperly (narrow side in the extractor). Regardless, there is no pin holding it in, what you are calling a pin is simply a polymer insert (and it also has wide and narrow ends that fit accordingly into the extractor spring)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I always try to keep spares for many of the smaller AR parts and for the parts that wear out. AR bolts set up for the 7.62x39 have reputation for a shorter life than is the case for 5.56 bolts.
I have a complete spare bolt on hand and special oops part kit for the readily lost parts.
BCA is not a top of the line maker of ARs so there can be issues in my personal experience. They are cheap enough that buying replacement parts is not biggie and I still come out ahead financially

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's always a good idea to keep complete spring kits and most likely parts to break or wear out for all your firearms. That could save you some down-time during a SHTF scenario.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts