Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Were there any "ar 42" receivers, rejected or left over and used in 1945 by anyone. Reason is, I was asking the board about an "ar 42" a few week ago that had "45" marked on the barrel in addition to some letter code. I was fairly certain the two digits is the year and could not figure out how a 45 barrel end up on a 42. I thought I remembered reading some receivers recycled later but can not access old posts to look for what I thought I read. Anyway, gun is a bolt mismatch (bolt matches itself) and no imports. Stock is numbered to gun at bottom of wood. Not many waff's, only remember a single on the side of the receiver and one on the wood. Gun looks unmessed with except late date barrel. Please comment!

See posting "Help! Puzzle! Possible AR 42 purchase" on page 3 for more details if needed.

Thanks,
Diehard

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,686 Posts
To be honest, it's too tough to say without seeing it-- I don't know if pictures would even help.

Is it possible it's a rework? Yes. It's possible that it was put together post war as well- the stock being serial numbered on the bottom is what would make me think twice-- however, legit reworks are numbered there. I do find it hard to believe that the barrel would be 45 dated. It's possible that it's just part of the barrel code, and nothing to do with a date.

FYI- the only maker that ever used barrels dated 45 were bcd and dot. I have yet to see any other maker use a 45 dated barrel, with the dot being most common (actually, I haven't personally seen a 45 dated bcd barrel but have heard it from trusted sources). I doubt any rework facility had barrels dated 45 in the inventory.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
barrel code 45

Is it possible the "45" on the barrel is just a coincidence? I could see the 45 and the beginning of a letter wrapping around the barrel and under the wood. I have not bought the rifle, been trying to make a case one way or another and know where to buy it. Price would be in the 600-700 range, all matching with the bolt mismatch (matches itself). Two things make me hesitate: the "45" on the barrel, and the fact the the receiver ring appears to be a polished blue. The rest of the receiver does not look as polished, just the ring. There is no evidence of transistion and the gun finish appears legit. I first thought it might not have gone to the military as it lacked any eagle H on the stock and only one waff on the side of the receiver. Finish looks more typical of the Mauser banner rifles from the same factory earlier. Not sure if I should buy it.
Thanks,
Diehard

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
ar was Borgiswald, the Banners came from Oberndorff.
Is there a 0.2 marking on the bbl colar against the rec? These were not always above the wood line. Sounds like you need to ask the owner to take it out of the stock and look at all the bbl markings.
If it is original all the proofs - WaA or just eagle - will be 26. If the bbl is a replacement or a contrakt bbl sent to Borgw it might be different as would be the proofs on the right side of the rear sight sleve.
Are you sure there is no WaA26 on the top of the receiver? The Germans switched from proofs on the right side to the top in early 42.
The E/H was not always on the stock as the war progressed, but should be on a 42.
If legit as you describe it is priced about right.
Sarge

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have not bought it, but closer

I am thinking of working a trade on the rifle and went back to view it. I didn't ask to take it out of the wood as I did not figure he would agree. I would also be nervous, Mausers never seem to break down easy when you need them to. Anyway, I am fairly positive the barrel is dated 45 as the characters are clear as day and the barrel certainly has 98% of it's finish. Only other marking above the wood line on the barrel is a swastika. Are there any other signs I could look for that this is a legit rework or late war build with leftover early parts. I thought "ar" receivers were finished by others later in the war. The rest of the gun is early as it has a flat buttplate, all serials on bands and triggerguard. Stock is laminate.
Thanks,
Phil

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,686 Posts
You are going out on a limb, and the limb is cracked and rotten.

By 1945, most of the rework facilities were overrun. All legit depot reworks will have a rework proof at the wrist and on the side of the butt- Kru1, Su25, and Mu ? are the ones I can think of offhand. If all the bands are serial numbered, the gun was most likely finished as an ar42 (again, without pictures it's impossible to give an educated opinion).

If you like the gun buy it, you've been tormented long enough- the 45 could just be part of the barrel steel lot and I doubt it has anything to do with 1945.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts