Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove to an out of town gun show today in Columbus GA and was surprised to see that AR-15 prices seem to be coming down and dealers were full of stock. DPMS M4's were going for $599 along with Palmeto Arms. S&W sporters were $699 and $730. DTI was about $650. Even bushmaster was below $900. First time I have seen AR's at a show that inexpensive. There were also 2 PSL for $695 with scopes and accressories. There was also a Finnish mosin that was recaptured and set up as a sniper for $550.

Finestkind

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
The AR15 market has gotten flooded recently, which has driven prices down. After the 2008 mass buying spree, tons of small AR companies popped up overnight, and the existing large manufacturers greatly ramped up production to meet the new levels of demand. But now, with so many manufacturers, supply is currently higher than demand.

·
Gold Bullet Member
321 Posts
AR's going down (to many manufacturers, Original Bushmaster now a new company)... AK's going up ( tough as nails, 7.62 better than NATO)... Mosin Nagants confused and staying mostly the same ( unless dealer has been reading Gunboards).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unless this trend has just appeared in the last week this is exactly the opposite of what I have been hearing. It is my understanding that most places selling anything having to do with AR's are on two to three month backorder on everything from lowers to parts kits to barrels. Of course this is just hearsay to me as I have not actually tried to buy any AR stuff in a while.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't think they have really gone down so much as I see these new "Cost Effective" models role out. That new Bushmaster with the funky hand guards are one of them. But it seems the big manufacturers are all trying to go for that $500-600 range customers right now. Personally I would look at $1000+ to buy a decent AR with the minimum options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The going rate for a DPMS or Bushmaster here is about $3000.The cheapest AR's available are the Canadian made ones for $2000.Just as well Mosin prices here are not like AR prices,thats all I can say.
I paid 450aud for my 1891/30 and 900aud for my repro sniper nagant. Not to mention that the Australian dollar is higher than the American.
Prices here are rediculiusly high

·
Registered
337 Posts
My God, I had an opportunity to look at one of these low end rifles built on a Plum Crazy lower. I thought it was a .22 or a toy when the guy asked me to look at it, it was so light. Guy was having problems and he had just bought it at a gun show and if you pulled the trigger it wasn't releasing the hammer. The lower receiver was not milled it was basically aluminum poured into a mold. You couldn't remove just the rear pin and tilt the upper, you had to remove both pins. The trigger group parts were all a cheap plastic felt like fisher price stuff. You could put a bullet in and cause the hammer to release but the sear was just not rotating right and I didn't want to risk breaking his rifle. This was by far the crappiest weapon I have ever seen.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
just because a customer screws up a good gun is no reason to bad mouth the manufacturer......
i havd bought sold used a bunch of pc lower assemblies...thier light and they work...
they are not "cheap plastic" but a patented composite...similar to glock's material.
sorry i just dont believe it was a new pc lower....
bottom line...i liike them..take about 2 lbs off the weight of an m4.......

as to the price of ar's, if one takes a pc lower asembly at msrp,and adds a stag 3 lower at msrp...you are at about 600 ......basically all guns go up from there.( tho an unchrome lined upper can be cheaper...but thats like buying a yugo sks...aint gonna happen)

as to supply and demand, i buy as a dealer from stag and my lead time has gone from 10 days to 4 weeks with rumors of six weeks for my next order.....
it the politics INSPITE of the economy...practial guns and ammo are in high demand.....again.....

mike in co

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,174 Posts
It's fine that prices are coming down in some places, but quality is still quality...I wouldn't buy a DPMS if they were $399. If you are actually serious about getting a solid, quality weapon for more than plinking and for true reliability, go with BCM, Colt or LMT. They're more expensive, but worth every penny.

Pat

·
Registered
225 Posts
Last time I checked "The Firing Line" forum. A hot thread concerned how Remington was just awarded a big US Army contract for M4s. Many thought that this could even further inflate the already heavily stocked AR15 market with aload more Colt AR15s. I have just been following AR15 prices and it certainly seems most makes/models have been coming down in price slowly but steadily. All the bigger shows around here, 100 miles around DE, seem to be loaded with AR15s. I'm trying to save up for a Colt, just to have one AR in my collection. I see the cheap steel bulk .223 is on a par with the bulk 7.62x39. I see alot of threads about how this type of ammo does work well very ong in many ARs. I've never had a problem with it in any of my AKs...another reason I've been hesitant to get an AR.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.