Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a project .22. I needed to stain it (with Minwax gel) to cover up some problems. Can I apply BLO over the stain? TIA

·
Silver Bullet member
34,809 Posts
IIRC, Minwax stains also act as a sealant, so BLO would not penetrate.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Working on a project .22. I needed to stain it (with Minwax gel) to cover up some problems. Can I apply BLO over the stain? TIA
Minwax stains contain a small amount of a proprietary petroleum-based polymerizing oil that acts as a sealant. It is not enough to interfere greatly with the BLO. In fact, you may notice the BLO will lift some of the stain as you apply it. You still get penetration, especially if you thin the BLO. If your wood is splotchy you may want to use a pre-stain sealer/conditioner to even out stain absorption.

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
Minwax stains contain a small amount of a proprietary petroleum-based polymerizing oil that acts as a sealant. It is not enough to interfere greatly with the BLO. In fact, you may notice the BLO will lift some of the stain as you apply it. You still get penetration, especially if you thin the BLO. If your wood is splotchy you may want to use a pre-stain sealer/conditioner to even out stain absorption.
+1

The BLO may lift some of your stain. I rarely use stain but when I do I use a alcohol based dye, or make my own with Rite and denatured alcohol.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Not the gel. it's really a varnish. You can put it over regular Minwax which is just a BLO mix with stain. You'll have to work in the Minwax Gel, make sure it looks right, wait for it to dry completely. Then when you but the linseed oil on it apply and rub VERY little around the area with gel. With luck it'll end up looking pretty consistent but it may require a few tries to get it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts