Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
18,268 Posts
How is it unsafe?
If this is a serious question the answer is that some people feel that when drawing or reholstering from this position the user might have an unintended discharge of their pistol and shoot themselves in the leg or worse.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Years ago when appendix carry wasn't common I found a custom kydex holster maker that made me a minimalist appendix holster using a lighter gauge material than was industry standard; it fit like a glove. That holster and the maker are now gone and now that appendix is accepted, commercial holster makers have jumped into the market. It's just my observation, that contemporary commercial kydex holsters makers are making products that are unnecessarily robust (I suspect that this is done for liability reasons). This may why appendix people are going sub-compact.

Curly1
I've seen that video. It's very informative, but it has one notable flaw. He doesn't address the sitting position. Appendix carry is a breeze when we're standing, but when we sit down the thigh goes from being vertical to horizontal it becomes a problem of the holster being obstructed by anatomy. For me, big blocky holsters don't work, but that's what the industry is marketing.
It depends on ones specific anatomy, exactly how you are sitting, and how your particular holster rides. As long as my seat belt is not in the way I can get to mine while driving. My groin and thigh tend to push up my gun and my stomach pushes it out. I use kydex type holsters.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
He credits Todd Green with making AIWB popular. G Suarez has been teaching that carry position for some time also. I know he was teaching that prior to 2010, but I am not sure when he first was teaching that method of carry. I believe it was actually prior to me joining that site in 2006. It has certainly been around for a long time.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If this is a serious question the answer is that some people feel that when drawing or reholstering from this position the user might have an unintended discharge of their pistol and shoot themselves in the leg or worse.
Wouldn’t that apply to every carry position? If you use a quality holster and train then you will never shoot yourself. Appendix carry isn’t inherently less safe than any other type of carry. Those who shoot themselves with appendix carry will shoot them selves with any type of carry

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Wouldn’t that apply to every carry position? If you use a quality holster and train then you will never shoot yourself. Appendix carry isn’t inherently less safe than any other type of carry. Those who shoot themselves with appendix carry will shoot them selves with any type of carry
I have seen a gun discharge in holster that was carried outside the belt on the side little to rear of midline during an IDPA match. Other than being frightened by the discharge, the man was not hurt. If that was appendix carry the wound most likely would have life threatening and maybe life altering. Besides your sex organs, a bullet could hit a femoral artery that is deadly in outcome. If you are carrying the gun on rear of the hip, you will get a sore buttock and unlikely, but could get a bullet lower in leg.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have seen a gun discharge in holster that was carried outside the belt on the side little to rear of midline during an IDPA match. Other than being frightened by the discharge, the man was not hurt. If that was appendix carry the wound most likely would have life threatening and maybe life altering. Besides your sex organs, a bullet could hit a femoral artery that is deadly in outcome. If you are carrying the gun on rear of the hip, you will get a sore buttock and unlikely, but could get a bullet lower in leg.
And what caused the discharge? Poor quality holster, improper holstering, other? Many modern day firearms cannot fire without pulling the trigger

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
And what caused the discharge? Poor quality holster, improper holstering, other? Many modern day firearms cannot fire without pulling the trigger
What is called press check was allowed by the rules. Gun was completely holstered and the trigger was never touched. The safety was manipulated while in the holster. While the gun, I think was a FEG copy of browning Highpower discharged. The judges examined the gun and manipulating the safety would set it off. Gun apparently left the factory that way. I think people did used to remove the magazine safety form the browning high powers but that should not be a cause and I do not know if the owner had done so. The 'shooter' was DQed from match even if it was not his direct 'fault'.
On any newly acquired gun, one should check out the safety functions of the firing group. Many do not know how and even that should. There are other guns that will so malfunction; if the trigger is pulled with safety on, the gun will discharge when the safety is released.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It depends on ones specific anatomy, exactly how you are sitting, and how your particular holster rides. As long as my seat belt is not in the way I can get to mine while driving. My groin and thigh tend to push up my gun and my stomach pushes it out.
When I ask about advantages and disadvantages, this is what I'm talking about. Yes, I can carry a Glock 19 appendix, but the truth is that when I stand up from the sitting position, I'm always fiddling with it to set it back into an optimal position while standing.

·
Administrator
18,268 Posts
It most certainly applies to every carry position. Sometimes fear, adrenaline or nervousness can overcome training. The reason some people think appendix carry is more dangerous is because of where the muzzle is pointed when that unintended discharge happens. At the 4 o'clock position (8 o'clock for lefties) the muzzle isn't pointed at any part of your body. At appendix carry you are intentionally pointing a firearm at some pretty important parts. I think it is worth the risk for the better access and more comfortable carry. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: barnetmill

·
Registered
27 Posts
Appendix IWB has been the most comfortable to draw from and carry with compared to other positions. It was a bit of a mental hurdle for me to get used to it, but I'm very glad I've worked past that. By all means, explore all carry methods that might fit your preferences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
26+ yrs of appendix carry RH- IWB and a few reasons why.

I was stabbed in the back and hit right lung and severed muscles groups. I could not reach anywhere near a RH 4:00 position, appendix was accessable.

I was shot from behind with a 180g rifle round through my lower left leg while standing. It hit both bones and blew it to pieces. I collapsed backward landing face up on my back, I couldn't get up or roll. The middle of lower leg was pointing 90* out with my toes pointing back toward my head. Still had appendix access and could sit up albeit quite unpleasant.

I was hit in the back of the head-neck with a ball bat while attempting to grab my kid out of the way of a motorcycle that was riding toward us on the sidewalk.
Fractured two vertebrates, cracked skull, knocked out for a few seconds and found myself face down laying on right arm, left arm was along left side palm up.
Dudes were going through my rear pockets and wallet, I could still reach my appendix while face down, then I rolled over. Motorcycle guy was one of bat mans crew.

I'll keep this limited to a few of the situations that influenced my decisions.

Advanced knowledge or anticipation of what's about or could happen is great but obviously many of my experiences haven't been the case.
Head on swivel, situational awareness, yep roger that but the surprise attack can be uniquely unscripted.

Side bar: About ten years ago, I switched to a micro platform with a LH- OWB clipped leather holster reversed it to use RH- IWB, I like it even better and I can set it as deep as I want. I haven't had an accidental discharge and I still carry RH- OWB 4:00 at times, but of course that's a different topic.

For whatever my two cents is worth (keep in mind, copper is way down)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Glassiches you need to buy a lottery ticket! And wherever You live I would move ! I have been fortunate off duty so I have no experiences close to what you describe. Now on duty is a different story but that’s for another day. I am to the point in my career and life that I will not go to large venues or movie theaters etc. It may just be me, but I am seeing too many incidents happen etc. I will meet family and friends and enjoy my time. I am always uneasy and constantly scanning. I will go out and enjoy a nice meal/evening but I am always carrying strong side OWB.

Appendix carry is a valid option and works for many just not me. I have made sure I am able to access with either hand if need be. On duty my BUG is on my left inside ankle. I am able to access with either hand if need be. I may be old school but I try to defuse (Streamlight XL20) situations ASAP, and I let my “customers” know it’s about to go south for them very quickly. Again story for another day.

Off duty right side OWB allows access for either side if need be. Open top holsters only, no snaps/straps/locks/thumb breaks etc. Now if I carry in my pocket I am screwed so there is that. This is a rare carry for me but I will say I do it, and I realize the downside.

Everyone be safe-practice how you carry and carry what you practice with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
tahoe
Thanks for the suggestions and comments.
I've purchased a few lottery tickets and survived. The incidents described occurred while away from my home area and an opportunity to defuse would've been nice. Streamlight produces some decent products, I have a Streamlight TL Racker that functions well but... different topic.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I will say that a Streamlight SL-20 is a great problem solver ! Just get it loaded up and let them see that look on your face “that you don’t give a damn”, and most will reconsider any type of bad behavior. Those few that decide to ignore the opportunity provided soon are crying for their momma.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts