Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Shran, I carried an S&W Shield this way and found it quite comfortable. Maybe you need to try a different holster. I have a hybrid, a Vedder RapidTuck RapidTuck™ IWB where the Kydex shell holding the pistol is backed by leather and the belt clip is adjustable by 30 degrees for cant in either direction. That adjustable cant can make a big difference in wearer comfort! I wore this holster for a month in the Florida heat and I really liked it. It was super comfortable in all positions because the leather doesn't dig into you like a full Kydex holster, and I could easily access my pistol while driving without having to pivot or lean forward to reach a behind the hip holster or straighten my leg to get my hand into a front pocket for a pocket holster. I feel that appendix carry is my best option if I want a pistol to be easily accessible while I'm seated or driving.

I stopped carrying AIWB for one reason only and that was because after a month of contact with my belly sweat in the Florida heat I discovered my Shield's magazine release button had developed a frosting of surface rust and I was concerned that the rust might extend to the internals of the pistol. I imagine that if I was carrying a holster that had more of the pistol exposed, or if I was carrying a pistol that had grip screws for me to sweat on, I'd have had worse rust issues than I had. The fix is simple and I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet and that is to sew another small flap of leather to the back of the holster so that the mag button is covered. I've got the leather, I just haven't had the time.
I may have to try one of those. The one I have for my 9mm Shield is all Kydex but my 45 Shield doesn't fit that holster so I'll have to buy one for it eventually. I was kinda concerned about the rust issue too but so far it hasn't been a problem, helps that I am up north.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts