Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I usually carry appendix iwb, it's more comfortable to me then other spots. I feel like I have better control over the pistol and can conceal it more easily there. Some people get their panties twisted over the direction the gun is pointed, but with a good holster it's not any more dangerous then any other position on the belt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shran,
Good point on AIWB carry in the sitting/driving position. A lot of pundits advocating AIWB don't address this. I went about a week with the AIWB carry (I'm pretty fit) but, still found it very uncomfortable while driving. The people I've talked to that did carry AIWB noted that downsizing to a subcompact was the trade off for the ease of access and concealability that AIWB provides.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If carrying aiwb is uncomfortable you have one of these messed up:

Belt not stiff enough
Pants too tight
Holster too crappy
Really large gun (6” revolver for example)
Really big gut

I can appendix carry full size handguns without any discomfort. I can sit, stand, run, jump, etc without issue. I buy my pants one size larger than I normally wear to accommodate the extra room of the gun. I use a stiff carry belt. I use a quality holster not an uncle mikes or Amazon special.

Trigger Air gun Grey Gun barrel Wood

·
Administrator
18,891 Posts
I carry a S&W Shield that way. Very comfortable standing up, sucks to sit down, very uncomfortable to drive with.
Shran, I carried an S&W Shield this way and found it quite comfortable. Maybe you need to try a different holster. I have a hybrid, a Vedder RapidTuck RapidTuck™ IWB where the Kydex shell holding the pistol is backed by leather and the belt clip is adjustable by 30 degrees for cant in either direction. That adjustable cant can make a big difference in wearer comfort! I wore this holster for a month in the Florida heat and I really liked it. It was super comfortable in all positions because the leather doesn't dig into you like a full Kydex holster, and I could easily access my pistol while driving without having to pivot or lean forward to reach a behind the hip holster or straighten my leg to get my hand into a front pocket for a pocket holster. I feel that appendix carry is my best option if I want a pistol to be easily accessible while I'm seated or driving.

I stopped carrying AIWB for one reason only and that was because after a month of contact with my belly sweat in the Florida heat I discovered my Shield's magazine release button had developed a frosting of surface rust and I was concerned that the rust might extend to the internals of the pistol. I imagine that if I was carrying a holster that had more of the pistol exposed, or if I was carrying a pistol that had grip screws for me to sweat on, I'd have had worse rust issues than I had. The fix is simple and I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet and that is to sew another small flap of leather to the back of the holster so that the mag button is covered. I've got the leather, I just haven't had the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I carry a S&W Shield that way. Very comfortable standing up, sucks to sit down, very uncomfortable to drive with.
Years ago when appendix carry wasn't common I found a custom kydex holster maker that made me a minimalist appendix holster using a lighter gauge material than was industry standard; it fit like a glove. That holster and the maker are now gone and now that appendix is accepted, commercial holster makers have jumped into the market. It's just my observation, that contemporary commercial kydex holsters makers are making products that are unnecessarily robust (I suspect that this is done for liability reasons). This may why appendix people are going sub-compact.

Curly1
I've seen that video. It's very informative, but it has one notable flaw. He doesn't address the sitting position. Appendix carry is a breeze when we're standing, but when we sit down the thigh goes from being vertical to horizontal it becomes a problem of the holster being obstructed by anatomy. For me, big blocky holsters don't work, but that's what the industry is marketing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Shran, I carried an S&W Shield this way and found it quite comfortable. Maybe you need to try a different holster. I have a hybrid, a Vedder RapidTuck RapidTuck™ IWB where the Kydex shell holding the pistol is backed by leather and the belt clip is adjustable by 30 degrees for cant in either direction. That adjustable cant can make a big difference in wearer comfort! I wore this holster for a month in the Florida heat and I really liked it. It was super comfortable in all positions because the leather doesn't dig into you like a full Kydex holster, and I could easily access my pistol while driving without having to pivot or lean forward to reach a behind the hip holster or straighten my leg to get my hand into a front pocket for a pocket holster. I feel that appendix carry is my best option if I want a pistol to be easily accessible while I'm seated or driving.

I stopped carrying AIWB for one reason only and that was because after a month of contact with my belly sweat in the Florida heat I discovered my Shield's magazine release button had developed a frosting of surface rust and I was concerned that the rust might extend to the internals of the pistol. I imagine that if I was carrying a holster that had more of the pistol exposed, or if I was carrying a pistol that had grip screws for me to sweat on, I'd have had worse rust issues than I had. The fix is simple and I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet and that is to sew another small flap of leather to the back of the holster so that the mag button is covered. I've got the leather, I just haven't had the time.
I may have to try one of those. The one I have for my 9mm Shield is all Kydex but my 45 Shield doesn't fit that holster so I'll have to buy one for it eventually. I was kinda concerned about the rust issue too but so far it hasn't been a problem, helps that I am up north.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I tired appendix carry a couple of times. For me, only for me I do not like it. Extremely uncomfortable and since I duty carry on the right hip I stick with that. I’ve done all the carry styles and keep coming back to outside, leather holster, reload in left front pocket ( with nothing else). Worked for 26 years and muscle memory,

Again just my personal take.

Reactions: Webley One

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tired appendix carry a couple of times. For me, only for me I do not like it. Extremely uncomfortable and since I duty carry on the right hip I stick with that. .
Appendix carry isn't like belt carry, one size doesn't fit all. How much space you have between groin and thigh depends on body size and composition (fat vs, lean). As I mentioned earlier, contemporary commercial holsters are in my opinion, too bulky and robust. I suspect that this will diminish appendix carry as an option for many. A custom holster makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Flatlander I get it, really I do. Holster or not for me it just is not my thing. Nothing to do with the jubblies and stuff. Just never could get used to it. Strong side OWB works for me, is what it is right? And I also only use premium rigs. I’ll pay that extra $$. I’m not going to risk my life on a P.O.S. holster.

if it works for you, or whoever then brother more power to ya !

Stay safe.

Reactions: Desert Flatlander

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I find appendix carry very easy to conceal, but it’s not for me from a safety viewpoint. I’m not trying to sway others what to do and don’t need anyone trying to convert me. I say carry whatever way you’re comfortable with.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
My club range has banned appendix carry from all concealed carry competitions.
I pocket carry so it means nothing to me but they must feel there is a risk to ban the use of it.
Competition people tend to be in a hurry when drawing and reholstering a gun. ADs with glock type triggers are most common while holstering a pistol. Plus many competitors lighten their triggers that increase the likelihood of AD.
There is some wisdom in clubs outlawing appendix carry for competitions. Better to have an AD in any other position than in appendix carry.
If you compete to make yourself better at self defense, you carry the same gun that you will defend yourself and use the same techniques. Striving for points can be counter productive.
Basically take your time, but do it fast.
I carry appendix in the waist band. It is not comfortable for me. I am going over to a smaller gun and will try other holsters.
I want my hands always in front of me in any combat scenario that happens at close distances and so I want the gun at my front to be better under my control.

·
Administrator
18,891 Posts
I deleted a post that someone made in anger. There's no need to insult anyone. We're all friends here. If someone said something that made you angry for some reason sit back and consider for a moment if maybe you're just interpreting it wrong or maybe the post you're angry about didn't require any response at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts