Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, bit of a random question here. I was watching the film Anzio an noticed Peter Falk later of Columbo fame had a red and gold badge on his shoulder.He seemed to be the only ranger who had this.Could some one please tell me what the badge is and what it signifies?

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Hello Lew07. If I remember right it was a red Arrow head that had "U S A" across the top and "CANADA" spelled vertically underneath. It was a combined unit patch for American and Canadian commandos. The forerunner of the Special Forces. At least, that's the patch I remember him having.

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,554 Posts
Hello Lew07. If I remember right it was a red Arrow head that had "U S A" across the top and "CANADA" spelled vertically underneath. It was a combined unit patch for American and Canadian commandos. The forerunner of the Special Forces. At least, that's the patch I remember him having.
First Special Service Force. Not really much akin to the Special Forces as in Green Berets, more like the (WWII contemporaries) Rangers, Marine Raiders or British Commandos. Sometimes called the Devils Brigade or the Black Devils.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Snowman and Clyde. Heh Heh. I knew some one on here would come up with the goods as they say.I think my eye sight is going.When I squinted at the badge all I could see was the colours.Its one of those films with an all star cast that I always end up watching.Who would have guessed Peter Falk would have traded his Thompson and water bottle for a raincoat and a cigar all those years later!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.