1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
He gave his best knowledge and advise, added at least one disclaimer, and told no one to do anything. And I'd worry more about undersized projectiles and their problems. If a couple thous over on a projectile makes a rifle kaboom, then I'd say the work up wasn't so good and was way over the edge. Chronos can be useful. The M-N is a stout action.Best

·
Silver Bullet member
6,104 Posts
This concept isn't exactly new or all that radical. The Ruger Mini-30 uses a .308 caliber barrel but is designed to shoot standard Russian .310-.312 diameter 7.62x39 rounds.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
The only problem is see is his reloading process.
Mixing up components leads to really bad situations, over pressure, double loads, etc How he managed to seat a .312 steel bullet into a case that should have been sized for .310 and not notice the resisance in the press or the wasp wasting of the case neck is beyond me. But it happens.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
This concept isn't exactly new or all that radical. The Ruger Mini-30 uses a .308 caliber barrel but is designed to shoot standard Russian .310-.312 diameter 7.62x39 rounds.
I know the older Mini 30's had the .308 bore, but do the newer ones also have it..?? I'm not disputing what you are saying in any way, I'm just curious because I've been thinking about maybe getting a Mini 30 "Tactical" model. At some point a few years back Ruger completely re-tooled production of the Mini 14, the older (180 series I believe) rifles were notoriously inaccurate, but the newer (181 series I think) are much better, and I wonder if Ruger re-tooled the Mini 30 production line as well, but retained the .308 tube...??

As for .312 bulletes in .310 grooved Mosin's, it's a mixed bag... Some people claim they do it routinely with no issues, others say they exhibit signs of higher than normal pressure, and to some extent I think this is a result of the wide variation of manufacturing tolerances and condition of Mosin rifles. From a handloading perspective, I would work up loads very carefully, but if the rifle shoots well with bullets that match it's groove diameter, there's really no need to use oversized projectiles.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
lonniemike; I would bet that you havr never seen, heard of, or read of an oversize bullet causing
as you put it a kaboom. If the case fits the chamber, and the chamber neck is free enough to release the bullet the pressure will not be high enough to cause damage. Ackley actually fired a 8 mm Mauser in a 30/06.
A 8mm will not fit most 30/06 chambers when it does the chamber closes on the case mouth.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
In this case bore size is secondary .what is important is the throat what does it slug at I'm betting bases on the rifles I have owned that is between .312-.316 an long just the way the Finns designed it .IMO shooting a .312 bullet out of that rife would be perfectly safe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hawkins, I believe you're comparing apples to organges. This thread is referencing 7.62X54R ammos in 7.62X54R actions. And yeah I've read the Ackleys works. You're right, I've never seen a kaboom. Have you? But I've seen/heard about plenty of rifle kabooms via the net, which are generally the results of poor safety, work up, operator error, etc. The list is long and often hard to follow or prove. You are trying to compare/(make) an oversize bullet with/(into) an obstructed bore. These are two very different things. I do believe in being safe, experimenting, working up and staying within some limits. My idea of safe, experiment, and within limits may be different than yours. My first reloadings started in the early 60's with the 7.62R. There are old fools , bold fools, but not many old bold fools. Anyone can make a mistake. It just isn't good to do it the first time out on the ragged edge of something that you're not familiar with. You can be as safe as you want. Do work up.Best

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The main point was that he was very laissez faire about throwing .312 projectiles in a .308 bore. Can you get away with it on some rifles? Yes. Should you even try? Hell, no.

The detail that only some in the referenced thread picked up on was that SOME Finn Mosins started out life at .308 from the factory while MOST were .310 or higher. Why even chance it if it's not a 'D' marked chamber for sure, or if the bore diameter is in question?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't know about all the surplus out there but the bullets I have pulled from 7.62x54R ammo are NOT .312" most are .3105 at best. I load both .308 FMJ (49-56 MAS) and pulled 54R FMJ (M39s and 91-30). I could see how one could get ahold of the wrong one but it's still a case of neglect. I would bet though that bullet he inadvertently loaded was a .3105" and not a true .312"
As far as Mosin Nagants go? I would slug any non Soviet bloc made barrel.
Motor

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,949 Posts
I don't know about all the surplus out there but the bullets I have pulled from 7.62x54R ammo are NOT .312" most are .3105 at best. I load both .308 FMJ (49-56 MAS) and pulled 54R FMJ (M39s and 91-30). I could see how one could get ahold of the wrong one but it's still a case of neglect. I would bet though that bullet he inadvertently loaded was a .3105" and not a true .312"
As far as Mosin Nagants go? I would slug any non Soviet bloc made barrel.
Motor
Best to slug every barrel for proper bullet fit to bore.
Many old military surplus barrels differ in bore size. And many have a lot of throat wear. Some even different chamber lengths for the given cartridge and caliber.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hey, I never said anything about firing with a bore obstruction. What I said was an oversize bullet will not
blow the gun if the case fits the chamber and there is room for neck expansion.
I reread your post we don't disagree at all. You must be an "Old Coot" also my first loading was in the
mid 50's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.