Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a batch of PRVI soft points on hand to reload. Anyone have success with running soft point through a MAS 1949 or 49-56? I also going to be trying Hornady 150 Grain FMJ's but getting enough bullet engagement in the case neck is going to leave a fair amount of free bore. I will be working on getting a couple of good loads using Varget powder. Advise is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Soft pointed bullets are at risk of being deformed when loaded, the feeding ramp of the Mas 49 & 49-56 aresteep and unforgiving. I gave up using HPBT bullets in my FSA.

For hunting purpose when using soft noses, it is better if you handload the 1st cartridge into the chamber, the extractor is sturdy enough and easy to replace.

kelt

·
Registered
89 Posts
soft points

I have used Hornady 165 gr btsp bullets in both 49/56s- one is an original 7.5 and the other is a Century converted to 308. I've never had a jam or other problem, but then I haven't fired more than 100rounds in each rifle as they were just hunting loads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.