Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If so, do you have any pics? I am thinking about buying one of theirs currently advertised and would like to hear how it has gone for other GB members...

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Evening Scott! I was also wondering about that. They advertise them as "excellent" for $139.95 I wonder how truly "excellent they really are???

·
Gold Bullet member
4,792 Posts
Mine is on backorder, something I have come to expect when ordering from Samco. No idea when it will show up but will post some pics then...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Samco m24/47

Fellas,

I bought an m24/47 last week for my son. The rifle was in pretty good shape - all matching numbers (stamped, not pencil etched) except the barrel, good shiney bore (didn't look like it was used much, if at all), wood had a couple minor scuffs, no cracks, no pitting. The rifle was well blued, the bolt was "in the white". The rifle exterior was well cleaned, but when we broke her down for a thorough inspection, the inside was pretty well packed with heavy grease. This rifle had apparently been put away for long term storage a long time ago, and only superficially cleaned. After a couple hours in the shop, some acetone, wd-40, ed's red and a stack of rags, the ol girl looked pretty good. The only down-check on this one is about a dozen or so small dimples on the side of the butstock. Looks like a previous owner had used the butstock for bolt dis-assembly, even though the 24/47 has no bolt dis-assembly fixture (ala k98). The result was a bunch of tiny little holes scattered around the stock. I cleaned the stock with acetone and medium steel wool, then finihed with fine steel wool and coated with 3 coats of boiled linseed oil. Looks pretty good! The dimples are still there, but they get lost in the figuring of the walnut and you really don't notice them.
In my opinion, you just can't go wrong for $120! Oh yeah, the rifle was purchased from aim, not samco. But it was imported by samco, so I'd expect the same from them. The add for aimsurplus has some scary sounding words about "dark bores", but the one I got was gorgeous - after I cleaned out the cosmoline! The only rifle I have ever purchased directly from samco is an "excellent condition sks", back before the prices started getting crazy. I'd give samco a C for customer service and communication, and an A for product. The rifle was great, they just didn't seem very communicative.

Hope that helps,
Dan

·
Gold Bullet member
4,792 Posts
Mine is on backorder, something I have come to expect when ordering from Samco. No idea when it will show up but will post some pics then...
Something like the Energizer rabbit... I'm still waiting, and waiting, and waiting.......

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Excellent - looks like a new barrel!
New barrels have been rather the norm for these. After M48 production was well underway and the 24/47 was being turned in, many were rebarreled with new M48 barrels and stored away against a future need that never arose.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
" and stored away against a future need that never arose"

a need that never arose is wrong nother. the need to blow a hole thru a white tail is still a need. LOL

my problem is i have too many rifles and not enough tags to put on the bucks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The Yugo 24/47 looks nice and I see Trinity Arms has them for sell at $120. Nice for those that don't want (can't) spend the bucks on Mauser K98's. In the ad Trinity said the barrels are in excellent shape.

Question: Can you mount scopes on the 24/47 or do you need to do alterations like with the Mosin nagant 91/30? I wouldn't mind having a Major Koenig style rifle.

Lastly, I've seen Yugo 24/47's and Yugo 24/48's. Whats the difference between the two? Is one more desirable then the other? I probably will end up going the route of the Yugo's rather then a 98K:(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is mine. I received it about a month ago. It looks to be unissued. No marks on the mag follower, ramp, nothing. Truely excellent. I waited 7 Months. Well worth it! JP

I always have been very satisfied w/ Samco's products. I have an M41b coming, all matching, in pristine shape. I like them allot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Yugo 24/47 looks nice and I see Trinity Arms has them for sell at $120. Nice for those that don't want (can't) spend the bucks on Mauser K98's. In the ad Trinity said the barrels are in excellent shape.

Question: Can you mount scopes on the 24/47 or do you need to do alterations like with the Mosin nagant 91/30? I wouldn't mind having a Major Koenig style rifle.

Lastly, I've seen Yugo 24/47's and Yugo 24/48's. Whats the difference between the two? Is one more desirable then the other? I probably will end up going the route of the Yugo's rather then a 98K:(

The 24/47 has a strait bolt, not scope friendly. The 24/48 is a M48, not a 24/48. The M24 was upgraded in 1947, 24/47. This is a late unissued M48a. M48's have bent bolts.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hmmm, those are all nice. One thing, I got one like that for $30. Pawn shop owner thought it was crap. Just PACKED with cosmo (bolt wouldn't close or open, halfway). Cleaned up nice, with a pristine bore. All matching, stamped, including stock.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The 24/47 has a strait bolt, not scope friendly. The 24/48 is a M48, not a 24/48. The M24 was upgraded in 1947, 24/47. This is a late unissued M48a. M48's have bent bolts.

That thing is sweet! I've checked some of the gun websites but can't find any places that sell M48's. Can anyone help me with a site, and also waht kind of prices i would be looking to to buy one.

Thanks..

·
Registered
146 Posts
That thing is sweet! I've checked some of the gun websites but can't find any places that sell M48's. Can anyone help me with a site, and also waht kind of prices i would be looking to to buy one.

Thanks..
You should check the WTS here on the site.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=10744

A shop here in NH always has a few on hand. They don't look like mine mind you, but are good solid rifles. $150.00 is the average.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Snowman

I'd have to say that the best place to find an M24/47 or M48 is Gunshows. If you don't mind waiting or hunting. The ones that I have seen marked "Samco" are usually in mint condtion. Here in Maine they usually run around $200 though.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,792 Posts
Something like the Energizer rabbit... I'm still waiting, and waiting, and waiting.......

.....and waiting and waiting and waiting and......... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.