Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one, and with the gun empty and the safety in "fire" position, the bolt will pull back and easily lock.

However, with the gun empty and the safety in "safe" position, the bolt will not pull back more than 2/3 of the way and obviously not lock.

When I called Weatherby, their tech support told me that's exactly as it should be. That the bolt will not lock back in safe mode and thus you cant load one directly into the chamber from empty while on safe, but it will lock open in "fire" mode, and you can only load one directly into the chamber on fire mode, and that my gun is functioning perfectly as it should be.

I'm a bit skeptical of this and think something is wrong with the weapon, but I thought I'd pose this question here of other SA-08 owners.

So, long story short, with an empty shotgun and the safety in "Safe" position, can you pull the bolt back on your SA-08 and lock it to load one directly into the chamber, or not?

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
18,345 Posts
Don't own one, but that sounds like normal operation to me. Part of what makes it "safe" is you can not cycle the action with the safety engaged and this is true of most guns. Have you read the owner's manual? It should explain how the safety works.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
http://www.weatherby.com/_media/ownersmanual/media/SA-08.pdf

The 28 ga may be different. It has its own manual.

OPENING THE BOLT
Keep the muzzle of the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, and keep your fingers out of the
trigger guard and away from the trigger at all times.
1. Move the manual safety button to the "SAFE" position (refer to Manual Safety Operation, page 6).
2. Unload the gun (refer to Unloading the Shotgun, page 16).
3. Lock the carrier by pressing the carrier lock button. (refer to Fig. 2)
Note: The bolt only locks open when the carrier is locked and no ammunition is in the magazine.
4. While resting the butt pad against your thigh, grasp the shotgun forearm firmly with one hand.
5. With the other hand grasp the operating handle and pull the bolt rearward until the bolt locks into the
open position.

To Feed a Shell from the Magazine into the Chamber
Keep the muzzle of the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, and keep your fingers out
of the trigger guard and away from the trigger at all times.
1. Visually check the manual safety button to make sure it is in the "SAFE" position (refer to
Manual Safety Operation, page 6).
2. Press the carrier lock button, to release a shell onto the carrier from the magazine and lock
the carrier.
3. Cycle the bolt to permit feeding of the shell from the carrier into the chamber.

CLOSING THE BOLT
Keep the muzzle of the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, and keep your fingers out of the
trigger guard and away from the trigger at all times.
1. Move the manual safety button to the "SAFE" position (refer to Manual Safety Operation, page 6).
2. Hold the shotgun with one hand grasping the forearm firmly.
3. With the other hand press the bolt release button to permit the bolt to move forward. (Caution: Do
not depress the bolt release button without a barrel installed; this will cause damage
to the receiver).
CAUTION: To avoid injury, keep hands and fingers away from the loading port
when releasing the bolt from the locked position.)
WARNING!! If a shot shell is in the receiver loading port when the bolt release button
is depressed and the manual safety is not in the "SAFE" position, the shotgun is now ready to
fire. Do not touch the trigger until YOU are ready to fire.
4. Visually check the manual safety button to make certain it is in the "SAFE" position (refer to Manual
Safety Operation, page 6).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't own one, but that sounds like normal operation to me. Part of what makes it "safe" is you can not cycle the action with the safety engaged and this is true of most guns. Have you read the owner's manual? It should explain how the safety works.
According to the manual, you should have it in safe when you lock the bolt and load one into the chamber.

This seems logical to me as it seems more "safe" to close the bolt with the gun in a non-firing position rather than in a firing position.

The alternative is to load one in the chamber in "fire", close the bolt, and then have to move the safety to "safe" position, which is exactly what I'm having to do. Doesn't seem right. :confused:

·
Administrator
18,345 Posts
Now you have me curious. I'm going to have to find one and play with it a bit. If the technical advisers from the company are telling you it is right then I guess it is right and you'll have to get used to it. If you just can't get comfortable with this system then my recommendation is to trade it off soon, while it's still relatively new, and you can get most of your money back out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.