Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just purchased at the Kansas City gun show this weekend a beautiful M95 Steyr Mannlicher in 8x50. Its dated on the barrel under side of the rifle "win eagel 17" so I know it started out as a military rifle in 1917. I have three other very high quality steyrs sporterized like this but none that are take down rifles. The rifle is really a masterpiece of a gunsmith skills. There are no maker markings that I can see on the rifle. Anyone out there have any insight to the rifle it would be very well appreciated. I reload the round so I will try to shoot it in the morning. The seller at the gun show purchased it from a estate and knew nothing about it. My guess it was sporterized between the wars and some one brought it home during WW2.

Attachments

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m95 sporter

I will try Vlad to give a little more information:
* The receiver has light metal engraving
* The stocks have a metal plate on each end where the stocks come together in the takedown. each plate is screwed to the wood.
* Wood appears to be oak
* metal butt plate
* bore is like new, I would say never shot much
* stock is plainly a military stock sporterized and you can barely tell that the knob has been added and spliced to the rifle, then checkered. the addition is very well done.
* the rifle is extremely light, although I have nothing to weigh it on. It reminds me of a well made tell rilfe. ( german single shots where really light and well made also.
Hate to tell you what I paid for it, not much over a regular m95 price......no body knew at this show what it was.......nice to be on the right side of the fence once.

Attachments

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a nice rifle Erik. Looks like the take down part is made the same way mine is. I am half certain on my take down rifle pictured above, would take a military barrel ( as was when it was created) and as far as threading it all I can say is measure and try............for me it would be measure and try, measure and try, measure and try and measure and try:) who knows you may get lucky the first time putting on the new barrel, but in my case I would consult a friend with a machine shop ( if you do not already have one). Thanks for sharing the pictures!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.