Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just purchased at the Kansas City gun show this weekend a beautiful M95 Steyr Mannlicher in 8x50. Its dated on the barrel under side of the rifle "win eagel 17" so I know it started out as a military rifle in 1917. I have three other very high quality steyrs sporterized like this but none that are take down rifles. The rifle is really a masterpiece of a gunsmith skills. There are no maker markings that I can see on the rifle. Anyone out there have any insight to the rifle it would be very well appreciated. I reload the round so I will try to shoot it in the morning. The seller at the gun show purchased it from a estate and knew nothing about it. My guess it was sporterized between the wars and some one brought it home during WW2.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m95 sporter

I will try Vlad to give a little more information:
* The receiver has light metal engraving
* The stocks have a metal plate on each end where the stocks come together in the takedown. each plate is screwed to the wood.
* Wood appears to be oak
* metal butt plate
* bore is like new, I would say never shot much
* stock is plainly a military stock sporterized and you can barely tell that the knob has been added and spliced to the rifle, then checkered. the addition is very well done.
* the rifle is extremely light, although I have nothing to weigh it on. It reminds me of a well made tell rilfe. ( german single shots where really light and well made also.
Hate to tell you what I paid for it, not much over a regular m95 price......no body knew at this show what it was.......nice to be on the right side of the fence once.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Zeme,
I found a similar rifle but made unusable, will try [when i get it, it is coming my way / just bought it] to buy a Steyr 95
to make a usable hunting rifle of it, but am wondering what work it will need to make a normal 95 a take down.
Any info/help much appreciated.
Whe
n Rifle recieved i will send more info/pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
takedown

Thanks Jericho,
work to do though to make this a shooter again.
Anyone having any experience with takedown's ? Is the barrel threat different? Can not imagine it is the standard barrel threat since you normally need a vice to screw it out. Do not yet know the condition of the current [steel filled] barrel / if i can get it unscrewed.
Thanks
will drop a post once gun is in sight of my camera

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a nice rifle Erik. Looks like the take down part is made the same way mine is. I am half certain on my take down rifle pictured above, would take a military barrel ( as was when it was created) and as far as threading it all I can say is measure and try............for me it would be measure and try, measure and try, measure and try and measure and try:) who knows you may get lucky the first time putting on the new barrel, but in my case I would consult a friend with a machine shop ( if you do not already have one). Thanks for sharing the pictures!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Zeme, yes it seems i'll just buy a good-condition M95 to abuse to try to make it a take down with this stock. Unfortunately no reference on the gun on who made it, and searched the net extensively for anything close to this and so far your rifle is closest. The small difference is that it has a locking pin to position the barrel. when attached there is still play between reciever and barrel and i can turn it another 30 degrees further. Seems like worn out and probably the reason it was not used anymore and transformed to hang on the wall.
Which is exactly what it does now since i am too busy with tru-oil and my 2 Mannlicher Schonauer rifles, and with my latest buy, an Emil Kerner & Sohn sporter stutzen based on a Mauser action with Hexagonal barrel and nice engravings and Zeiss Zielsechs, which survived two worldwars.
This hobby gets out of hand :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts