Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember a way that was popular in the early 50's using some kind of over the counter substance to remove plating from guns. I think it was Drano, the kind with metal pieces in it which isn't available anymore. Does anyone remember this?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I don't know about that, but I imagine that it would be really hard on the steel, possibly causing major damage.

Brownell's sell a chemical nickel stripper.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I don't know about that, but I imagine that it would be really hard on the steel, possibly causing major damage.

Brownell's sell a chemical nickel stripper.
Drano, who's major ingredient is lye, does not harm steel. That's why you can pour it down a drain. It dissolves organic materials, which is why you shouldn't get it on your skin. It may corrode aluminum, I'm not sure tho. Ammonia will corrode non ferrous metals.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
You can still get plain old lye at hardware stores for drain cleaning.

But even if you do get the plating off somehow you may be left with a rough finish the plater used to assure adherence.

This is a job I'd leave to the experts as it has the potential for making an ugly gun even uglier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info but just to remove the plating from a pistol barrel isn't worth the postage to send it away, I guess I'll just live with it. Thanks to all who responded

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've removed chrome plating using the electrolytic method. It involves a car battery, salt water as the electrolyte, a piece of copper for the sacrificial and two leads from the battery. The chrome plating migrates off from a positive charge to negative-into solution. The rate varies depending on how close you put the two metals. There was a lot of foaming. When done, the bare metal (pistol frame) was pretty ugly and pitted- chrome covers many flaws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts