Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some surplus 7.35 bullets, and I was going to go abouts loading some ammo for the Finn M38 carbine, but it seems something is a miss here. I used Norma 6.5 carcano cases, and sized them up in the 7.35 die, trimmed the cases, and all. I also took my universal case expander and flared my case mouths slightly, to allow me to seat the flat base bullets. Well, when I run the round up into my seat die, it will not seat the bullet and instead starts to mushroom my case, which ruins them, and ruining these cases can get expensive. I already junked 2:mad

Anyways I got to measuring, and it seems the surplus bullets are .300, and the inside of the neck after sizing is .297. Hrmm, so either Lee makes their dies wrong, I got a bad set, or something just ain't right here.....

Has anyone else used lee dies to load surplus 7.35 bullets??:confused:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nevermind your e using Norma so that's not your issue. Expand the neck a bit more if it's not seating, if it's seating into the neck but killing the shoulders turn your die up as you're crimping too soon and thus pressing shoulders down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the seater plug seems to be hitting the bullet, and the case is buckling due to the neck not being opened large enough to take the .300 bullet. Not sure if I expand it anymore it would help? as it is only flaring the mouth?

I'll go back and try flaring a bit more.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the problem, I think. Either way, i fixed it. First there are 2 different shape of 7.35 projectiles, one is a smooth spitzer like ogive, and the other has more of a stepped like ogive. the latter will not work for some reason with my Lee seating plug. I'll try to take a pic later.

Also, I followed the advice above and flared just a bit more and it worked like a charm.

Loaded up 3 clips, I-4895 28.5gr middle of the road according to lee.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hello,
are You sure those bullet are from surplus? Original bullets are boat tail of .300" ( the portion iside the case neck) of 128grs of weight.
I have often seen flat base hunting bullets here around traded as 'big bullet' brand, I do not know who is the actual manufacturer same weight as the original.

ciao

Gianluca

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello,
are You sure those bullet are from surplus? Original bullets are boat tail of .300" ( the portion iside the case neck) of 128grs of weight.
I have often seen flat base hunting bullets here around traded as 'big bullet' brand, I do not know who is the actual manufacturer same weight as the original.

ciao

Gianluca

Sure about that??

Here is a surplus round I just broke down.....

And here is the difference in the bullets I was talking about, see the difference at the points?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't believe the original was a boat-tail. I have some original 7.35 but don't really want to break it down. That said, I've loaded PRVI cases, sized in the lee die, with PRVI bullets. They measure out at bang-on .300 but I believe original was supposed to be .298. Either way, flaring isn't going to help but you may have a bad expander or something. Mine works just fine but I haven't used surplus bullets.
I've also had trouble with Norma brass just being too brittle. Had a bunch of 6.5 carcano norma brass and half of it split when I resized it. Oh well, I like the Prvi stuff better anyhow.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Never had a problem with any of the 16 sets of Lee dies I use, including 6.5x52 and 7.35x51 Carcano.

ukrifleman
I concur. I use 6.5 carcano, jap, and swede, 7.35 carcano, 7.7 jap, 8x56r Hungarian, 7 and 8 mauser, 7.62x54r, .303brit, 7.65x53, 7.5x55 swiss, and probably a few more I can't think of right now. If the dies aren't working for you, you're probably not doing it right. While they may not be super-nerd benchrest accurate, LEE dies are well-made and much more user-friendly than most other brands. Their customer service is also miles ahead of most of the others which I have personally experienced. For anything short of custom-caliber, weird precision BS rifles, LEE makes very good dies. We also loaded some .338 Lapua which, despite a bad batch of primers, all shot tiny groups when they all went bang. These were all loaded on a lowly lee challenger press too. Just gave away an RCBS die set and selling a press too. Haven't used much they make that I like. Big fan of lyman products when it comes to reloading, although I haven't used their dies.

Only die set I use that isn't LEE is my .308 die set, which is Hornady new dimension, only because when I bought them LEE wasn't available anywhere. They work very nicely and I would definitely recommend them, but I've already augmented the setup with a LEE factory crimp die. Everyone has their preference, but pooping LEE won't make up for lacking skill or trying to feel superior by paying 3x the price for a product that doesn't make you suck less at reloading.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hello Sir,
You was right about the flat base bullet, I disassembled a couple of mine and thats it. I made confusion with the bullet that I used to make for this caliber where I replicated the dimension but put a little of boat tail in it , sorry for that,
Anyway as the bullet were in hand I measured them and they do are real .30', or 7,62 in metric, see photoes.
At the end I discontinued to make these bullets as they did not gave any advantage in term of accuracy compared to what was commercially available.

ciao

Gianluca

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.