Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even a stripped bolt body would be fine. It would save me the trouble of making one from a couple of 98 bolts.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Whooo boy - the probabilities of finding a 1640 bolt are slim. There just aren't that many spare parts in circulation, even in Sweden. Maybe our friends in Canada are seeing some things through Tradeex.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I thought about Tradeex but if I remember right, they can't import to the US anymore? Sheesh, I remember when I could buy from our Northern neighbors as easily as I could here in town.

I came into possession of a stripped receiver. No big deal as I can fabrictae all the parts or change them to suit my needs but the bolt, well, that of course is the stumbling block.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Darn, forgot about those import/export laws - Alternative path, buy a 1640 in a caliber you like, build the stripped receiver into a rifle of another caliber you like, but with same rim diameter, and then switch the bolt back and forth between the two. I expect if you persevere in your quest, another bolt will eventually turn up and then you'll already have the rifle ready to go for it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kriggevaer,

I will be buying a 1640 in 9,3x62 shortly. Your idea is a good one especially since the headspace would be set to the bolt and therefore not an issue but I prefer whole rifles. If I can't finda proper bolt, I'll make one from a couple of 98 bolts. No big deal but I'd rather spend the time shooting than building parts I can buy. Besides, if I build a bolt, it gives me an excuse to add a 98 style bolt stop. I'm not in a huge hurry, I have way too many projects going and still need to stock two M46's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You might try Jack First Gun Shop in Rapid City, SD. They have an amazing number of parts on hand. 605-343-8481

Talk to Nancy or Becky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts