Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a few considrable blowbacks saturday with my 24/47 using steel cased romy 8mm ammo (ya know a sharp blast of air and gunpowder to my face and blackened fingers lol) idk why this happened can anyone fill me in... it happened like 3 times out of 60 and have only had this happen with my romy ammo and not my yugo, but i bought it specifically because it seemed like some of the yugo ammo had some hard stubborn primers taking two strikes of the pin to go bang..:eek:
i know it probably wouldnt help to buy a new spring but it only happened on the 50's yugo stuff, but my main concern was the blowback...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I haven't heard of this happening with Romanian. Was the blow back from pierced primers, head failure, severe body splits?

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
I forget which lot of Romy was blowing out a lot of primers in the Hakim but I recall numerous cases sans primer. More evident on a semi as the bolt starts to cycle while there is still considerable pressure.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
I talked to a guy (mauser shooter) at the show this weekend who just got a batch of the Romanian on charger clips and he has had some split necks and blow backs..
I've shot cases of the Romo in 20 round boxes (out of the can) and other than the stink and soot) worked fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It would appear a big pair of wrap around safety glasses if the way to go here. Can you post some pictures of the brass showing primers?

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
The romo 8mm I have shot seems quite weak and the cases get covered in black soot. No issues with cracked/split cases. I think the steel just isn't sealing the chamber tight.:eek:

·
Gold Bullet Member
316 Posts
I have shoot alot of steel and brass cased 8mm with not problems, however the Romanian frequently does not seal and creates a sooty case. Maybe a function of low presssure lot. Test a couple of different years or lots to compare. Sounds under charged.

If the primers are pierced, check the firing pin tip. If it is sharp or rough, smooth it a bit.

Bill

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, experienced the same thing in a couple different 'shooter' Mausers that I have with Romanian steel case ammo. I attribute it to the steel cases not expanding to seal the chamber the way brass cases do. Wear proper shooting glasses!

·
Registered
945 Posts
What lornedavis, PanHead Bill & Matt Norman said...

I'll bet the empties showed sooty necks. Steel does not expand as easily as brass to seal the case in the chamber during firing. Blow-by finds its way back through microscopic gaps between the steel case and the chamber. This is not unusual with the steel-cased Romanian ammo, as it is loaded to lower velocity & pressure, and the lower pressure compounds the issue with the steel-case failing to expand enough to seal well. Wear proper eye-protection, and as long as the primers are not being pierced, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
The case is not expanding as others have pointed out. The challenge here is that they may or not be underloaded as well. Shoot some brass cased reloads and see what happens. There is the potential that you have a very roomy chamber and the only way to avoid this would be to fireform and then neck size and reload for this specific rifle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a Turk that pierced primers. It would blow back in my face. It pierced Romanian and not the Yugo brass ammo. The firing pin was chipped on the point. That can cause the problem. I tried cleaning it up and no help. I replaced the firing pin with a new one. No help. My firing pin hole was too large and allowing the firing pin to wiggle. I replaced the bolt with one that was like new and had a perfect firing pin hole. The problem was gone. So if piercing primers is the problem, look at the firing pin tip and the firing pin hole in the bolt face. And also the firing pin protrusion. If the firing pin shoulders are worn out or the bolt is worn out where they ride, then it will allow the firing pin to protrude too far into the primer and pop it. The shop manual by Kuhnhausen is invaluable for these things. If you happen to have another bolt that will fit it and headspace is good, try swapping the bolt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.