Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Just ordered one from gunbroker. Curious how the quality on these is compared to the 5 surplus m57's I have. Anyone have one?
How are they recognizable from a standard M57? I bought an M57 recently. It had the flimsiest and incredibly easy-to-remove sheet metal safety. Since the rivet holding it one was under the grip, there is zero visible evidence that it ever was there. BTW, CZ 52 mags can be easily modified to work in these Toks. The modification does not affect their function in the -52 so a modified mag can be safely used in both.

Reactions: Hal O'Peridol

·
Registered
438 Posts
The new production have a factory safety, not a import safety. I have 2 of them along with the 9mm version. I can find nothing wrong with it, although I must admit I just like the perceived history of the actual surplus more. I left one new in the box and used the other to push the limits of the Tok round to use in my Encore Carbine, using up to 135gr bullets.
Mine looks similar to this one.
New production M57 Tokarev - YouTube

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have one M57A and two surplus M57s. Both the surplus shoot better than the M57A (which has jammed a few times), but let me answer this again after I put 500+ rounds through the M57A. Seems the new pistol needs broke in some. Just my two cents.

Also, the M57A has "M57A" on the slide vs "M57" on the two surplus pistols.

·
Banned
80 Posts
I've heard a lot of the recent "surplus" ones are actually civilian surrender pistols to be in line with EU gun laws, since they're still applying for membership... Which is why you'll see nickel-plated ones and two-toned finished ones without the government property yugo stamp

2015 serbian legislation requiring stricter gun control

Serbia destroys 18,009 pieces of small arms and light weapons

Some of the comments on this video

Just something to consider if you're picking up an older "surplus" one

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
For my first TT-type pistol, I picked up a NIB commercial 9mm Zastava M70a several years ago. At the time the NIB M57a, like my M70a, was selling in the $270-$290 range. On both, the main difference from surplus is the slide-mounted firing-pin block safety. I also have three surplus M57s, the best of which is comparable condition to my commercial M70a. All three M57s have an add-on frame-safety at the upper rear of the left grip. One of the frame safeties is a solid machined unit that uses pressure from the left grip to latch the detent in the on/off positions, and it was very stiff. Scraping and filing on the cavity under the left grip has made that safety easier to thumb.
My other two M57s have the riveted stamped safety, with a spring-loaded ball-detent, and are smooth and easy to thumb.
While part of the frame safeties on my M57s are under the left grip. The pivot holes are in the frame, to the rear of the grips, with their pivots plainly visible to the rear of the right grip.
The few new commercial Zastavas I've seen recently, were priced in the $400+ range.
As for extra mags, surplus M57 mags were available from Classic, and I've seen several on eBay and GunBroker over the years. OTOH, extra 9mm M70a mags have been much harder to find. I finally got a pair off eBay last week.
Gun Product Yellow Firearm Trigger
Brown Sandal Tan Beige Leather
Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Home game console accessory
Photograph Light Black Grey Rectangle

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Surplus M57 mags were at least at the last time I looked about a month ago, either out-of-stock or running in the $40-50 range. Digging through the web, I found several posts and videos showing how to easily convert a CZ52 mag. It fits reasonably well (it won't drop free), and it works. The modification, doable with every gunplumber's Dremmel, took about 10 minutes. In the end, the mag is usable for both the M57, the CZ52, and possibly the M57A. CZ52 surplus mags in excellent shape are inexpensive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got my Zastava M57 from Classic Arms a couple of years ago when those first "Glock Trigger Safety" models arrived. I have been and still am, thrilled with this pistol! A lot of folks swapped out the "Glock" trigger for an original style found online, thereby rendering their pistols to an "original" condition. That's fine, but speaking for myself, I don't mind the "Glock" trigger at all. To each his own, I suppose!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Surplus M57 mags were at least at the last time I looked about a month ago, either out-of-stock or running in the $40-50 range. Digging through the web, I found several posts and videos showing how to easily convert a CZ52 mag. It fits reasonably well (it won't drop free), and it works. The modification, doable with every gunplumber's Dremmel, took about 10 minutes. In the end, the mag is usable for both the M57, the CZ52, and possibly the M57A. CZ52 surplus mags in excellent shape are inexpensive.
Haven't purchased from these guys, but they look like the one's I bought several years ago for my new style M57

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah, just visited that link. Six bucks more than I paid on Ebay for a spare, and I don't see the little loop (or whatever you call it) at the bottom of my original M57 magazine.
None of my surplus M57s came with lanyard-loop magazines.
I think my Russian TT has one.
I paid a bit more for my recent pair of 9mm Zastava mags, but that price included shipping.

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I have a model 88 a (9mm) which shoots just fine, safety is not hammer dropping and general exterior has sharp edges under light bluing to the point of being uncomfortable. They could have taken more time polishing and installing nicer sights That were less apt to snag. It goes “bang” every time asked to.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
9mm magazines M70A
9mm M88A
9mm magazines M70A
9mm M88A
I saw those. Thanks for the links.
Last month, I paid a bit more than Zastava's price for two M70a mags from eBay, but the seller included shipping. Too bad I paid quite a bit more online, over two years ago, for one spare M88 9mm mag. Don't know if Zastava product support was active in the US market then. There seemed to be a lag of several years from the time I bought my original NIB commercial Zastava, until their new pistols reappeared at much higher prices.
And yes, Zastava's slide-mounted safeties are significantly better than any of the add-ons.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a model 88 a (9mm) which shoots just fine, safety is not hammer dropping and general exterior has sharp edges under light bluing to the point of being uncomfortable. They could have taken more time polishing and installing nicer sights That were less apt to snag. It goes “bang” every time asked to.
About three years ago, I picked up this surplus M88a at my local gun store. IIRC, they were asking $170. But I haggled a bit and they included the sales-tax and BC fee.
I added the holster and spare mag later.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I recently picked up a M57 in 7.62x25mm that is only a shooter, but a nice one. It has a safety lever just above the left grip panel that I don't much care for but it works in blocking the trigger. The half cock safety notch on the hammer is still there and I think that one should be all I might need. The piece really shoots nice and never has had a malfunction of any kind. Just to see if it could function in 9mm I installed a 9mm barrel & recoil spring from my Chinese Mod. 213 in the M57. It worked fine even with the 9mm rounds in the 7.62mm magazine. I removed the Mod. 213 9mm bbl. & recoil spring from the M57 and it is back to its original 7.62mm configuration now. I really like the feel and function of the M57 piece.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,674 Posts
Sadly, I have found my M57 to be totally unreliable. The trigger has a tendency to rotate slightly up which causes the trigger bar to drop. The pistol will not fire in this situation. And even when that isn't the case, I find it necessary to remove the FCG at the range and reinsert it to get it to fire then....even if the trigger bar is in the proper place. I hope with use, it will break in and I will no longer have these problems. I run about 70 rounds of surplus through it 2-3 times a month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.