Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if they would make decent bullets for reloading as compared to casting lead and then copper plating or even just cast lead.

Thanks!!

Lew

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Wondering if they would make decent bullets for reloading as compared to casting lead and then copper plating or even just cast lead.

Thanks!!

Lew
I've never heard of them Lew. Is this a manfactured bullet?
Warren

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Warren ? I dont see why solid brass bullets wouldnt work well ,But pricing them compared to a cast ,plated, or traditional cup and core bullet would be the issue.

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see the questions - alloy 360 is called free machining brass and is especially suited for screw machine applications (that would take so long to explain - LOL)

On a cost basis - they can be ordered from a job shop with VERY specific sizing - in other words - to the real size you want/need etc. This makes it possible to be no more expensive than a commercial bullet or cast bullet mold - but sized/shaped/grooved/tapered/back-hollowed to your specs. The "in round" spec is higher as well.

I just didn't know if it was a reality or not as per the composition of the material - about 61.5% copper, 35.5% zinc and 3% lead

I know guys with the machines to produce such bullets - but why spend the $$ if no one has ever loaded and fired brass bullets. You can't afford to make 10 or 20 - but more like by the thousand - due to the set up fees vs. the material cost. However, a slight change in diameter requests would be insignificant in the pricing, allowing you to have the sizes you want for different barrels.

Hope this made sense.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I can see the questions - alloy 360 is called free machining brass and is especially suited for screw machine applications (that would take so long to explain - LOL)

On a cost basis - they can be ordered from a job shop with VERY specific sizing - in other words - to the real size you want/need etc. This makes it possible to be no more expensive than a commercial bullet or cast bullet mold - but sized/shaped/grooved/tapered/back-hollowed to your specs. The "in round" spec is higher as well.

I just didn't know if it was a reality or not as per the composition of the material - about 61.5% copper, 35.5% zinc and 3% lead

I know guys with the machines to produce such bullets - but why spend the $$ if no one has ever loaded and fired brass bullets. You can't afford to make 10 or 20 - but more like by the thousand - due to the set up fees vs. the material cost. However, a slight change in diameter requests would be insignificant in the pricing, allowing you to have the sizes you want for different barrels.

Hope this made sense.
Does this not sound like all the new "lead free" hunting bullets that are made for centerfire rifles now? The bullets that every one is charging a BIG premium for!

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Does this not sound like all the new "lead free" hunting bullets that are made for centerfire rifles now? The bullets that every one is charging a BIG premium for!
True enough. Though I believe most are made from pure copper or some with tungsten added. The composition of the alloy he is talking about seems like it would work. Of course not a pure lead free though.
Being machined, the high zinc content would not matter, as with casting, and would add hardness to the alloy. The small amount of lead would add a little to the overall bullet weight.
You would have to just cast some and try them Lew. I think you've got an idea there. Having the means and material, I would give it a go.
What caliber were you thinking about trying them in and what would be an estimated cost for producing 1000?
Maybe a new bullet in the works.
Warren

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
True enough. Though I believe most are made from pure copper or some with tungsten added. The composition of the alloy he is talking about seems like it would work. Of course not a pure lead free though.
Being machined, the high zinc content would not matter, as with casting, and would add hardness to the alloy. The small amount of lead would add a little to the overall bullet weight.
You would have to just cast some and try them Lew. .
Warren
Cast them? Did I read it wrong? He is talking about machine turned bullets, right?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
As I said sure it will work as a projectile . The Barnes bullets work well as do others, yes they are made of a copper alloy, but same principal applies .I still just dont see the reasoning behind it besides proving it can be done sucessfully. The cost is still going to be more regardless the order size , The performance from an accuracy standpoint would be extremely had to beat comparing it to a traditional bullet design (barnes and others are not known for X ring accuracy) ie: serria MK's ,ect.
Only Upside I can see to have your bullets custom made is if you would need a size or a nose /body style or bullet profile not produced already.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Cast them? Did I read it wrong? He is talking about machine turned bullets, right?
Didn't read it wrong. I just typed it wrong as I had already said they were going to be machined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.