Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an inquiry. In the new world of blood clots, I had one go to the Branch Retinal Artery. They say there is no cure, OK I get it.
My bad is that it is my right eye, and it was my shooting eye. Currently I have regained 70 percent vision in the old shooting eye.
I can see you, I just cannot read your nametag with that eye. The good thing is my left eye is better than 20/20. I am not used to shooting from my left shoulder.
I have put lasers on my shotgun, and rifle, and may buy a pistol that is already set for a laser. Just looking for advice on how to cope?

·
Registered
222 Posts
A lot of folks are right handed and left eye dominant, I am one myself. Drove my Drill Sergeant batty when he saw me shoot, but he couldn't argue with the scores. Up until I was forty I was blessed with 20/10 vision in my right eye and 20/15 in my left, I could read a newspaper from across the room, now without my glasses I am legally blind but corrected to 20/50 in both eyes. Damn diabetes got my eyes, better them than my life, I guess.

My advice is this; as with anything shooting related, practice, practice and then practice some more, then when you have it down and perfected practice even more until shooting with your left eye is natural and you can't imagine doing it any other way. Forget the crutches (lasers), learn to walk without them or you never will.

Good luck with your recovery, I came back from a TBI and stroke in 2006 and only lost 3 years of deployment memories, so no real loss there.

CAD

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know it's not similar to losing vision in the eye but I do have a friend whose dominate eye and hand were not the same. Living out in the middle of nowhere made it easy to let him come blast rounds all day without being at a public range and now he writes with his right hand but is a complete lefty when it comes to shooting.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had a friend my age and he went blind in about 10min, continued his work shift and then went to an eye doc the next day. He had a stroke in his eye, its gone due to small clots in his eye veins, blind in one eye. Then they started heart/stroke tests-- he needed both heart valves replaced. Best see a cardiologist ASAP. I went in for shi..s & giggles and failed the stress test- cut open like a frog the next day- bypasses & stints. Then a few years later a stroke in my head where I did even know my name. I was lucky and got the juice that broke up the clot and I came back after a week. So see a doctor & cardiologist or you may wake up dead. Another old timer has diabetes and his eye sight goes poor when his numbers change. He would drive somewhere and eyesight would alter and become too unclear & foggy and he would have to wait till it came back. He no longer can drive. As we get old all sorts of crazy stuff happens.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am somewhat left handed, but right eye dominant. I can fire a handgun with either hand, but must close the non-shooting eye.
I used to be very near sighted. At my most recent eye check my far vision has improved to nearly 20-20 and my cataracts seems to have stopped growing. I still have astigmatism and my near vision uncorrected is now worse than 20-20.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also had blood clot in my left ( dominant ) eye, It was like having a line across the middle of my vision. I started shooting right handed for 2-3 years. I have regained some of the vision in left eye and I can now shoot lefty agin .Give It some time and you may find that it gets better. Good Luck !
Tim

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Interesting and particularly relevant thread here. Interesting that there so many ways to lose ones vision and when that happens even more ways to cope. I myself am right handed right eye dominant but I learned to shoot from the left side from about 10 years old or so with my BB gun. My brother was a lefty and that was why I tried shooting like that in the first place. What an awkward PITA at first but BB's were cheaper than regular ammo at any price 'crept free and they could be recovered with a magnet. I continued to use "both eyes open" for the most part till this day and have lost count of the times that the unconscious reaction to successfully shoot from whatever side was needed at the instant needed has brought home the bacon or saved it. Being able to carry with either hand is a limb and life saving convince that I took for granted for many years and thought it strange that others didn't do what seemed to be so easy and made all the sense in the world. Try having that conversation with your DI and then listening to his replies and opinions about your character and abilities to perform other duties with both hands. Well, yah. But as stated above, the scores won that day but the amount of practice it took to get there can't be measured. I still practice both sides every time I shoot and still get comments at public ranges. So keep practicing until you overcome the awkwardness and try an eye patch to help train the eye reflex to switch to the dominant one. A BB gun still has the cheapest ammo and no one should be too proud to use one in a situation like this.
Good luck and I mean that sincerely.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also had blood clot in my left ( dominant ) eye, It was like having a line across the middle of my vision. I started shooting right handed for 2-3 years. I have regained some of the vision in left eye and I can now shoot lefty agin .Give It some time and you may find that it gets better. Good Luck !
Tim
timgd Thanks. For a while I had no vision in the bad eye. The blood clot dissolved or moved on, and I have gotten up to about 70 percent in the damaged eye. The opthamologist said that that part of the retina is now dead, but I guess I will find out. I am glad to hear it improved for you, I can function, and keep trying for workarounds to deal with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't use sights. Look at the target, if you can see the target, point & shoot. The US Army trained that way in 1968, it was amazing to me then and still works well for me 50 years later. No it's not good for extreme accuracy on paper but its better than most people will give it credit for.

·
Premium Member
12,091 Posts
I had a stroke 5 years ago. Lost my complete right visual field. That translates to 70% vision left eye, 30% right side. Pistol shooting is OK, but rifle shooting is...difficult.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turtleguy9

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a stroke 5 years ago. Lost my complete right visual field. That translates to 70% vision left eye, 30% right side. Pistol shooting is OK, but rifle shooting is...difficult.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Thanks Hal. I know it could have been worse. I am thankful for what I do have. I am just trying to figure out how to do what I love doing, shooting. I do not think I would want to shoot one of my Garands on the left shoulder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts