Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the milsurp thing for several years now as I have gotten into revolvers a little, but I still look whenever I go to gunshops and pawnshops.
It's like everything has just dryed up as far as milsurp stuff.
Still see the recent import 91/30's and the rare insainly priced "other", though.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
More or less the same, here. I haven't bought a Mosin for at least six years (probably a lot longer), and I don't even bother thinking about Mausers any more. I'm awfully glad I bought my Enfields when I did, though.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,812 Posts
More people have gotten into mosins, meaning more experts and less unknown rare stuff to be found.. Also dealers have wised up locally and figured out what people are willing to pay more for at the shows, sadly the prices are often outrageous.

There are still good finds out there, but less and less "cheap" is to be found.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
No you guys bought them all after Tuco and I made the website. Cut our throats.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Plenty of good mil-surps in my area.

Pretty much every shop I walk into has at least a few.
Prices range from cheap to decent to the obscene.

Just picked up another M39 for $175, needed a rear band, got the band for $18 on ebay.

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
it comes and goes. I got lucky when a fellow collector here was unloading some of his collection last year. Luckily I had the funds on hand and was able to partake in some harder to find - finds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It pretty hit or miss here in Ohio. I walked in to a local place and got a westinghouse M91 for $250, but the stock had been sanded and it was missing a few screws. No import marks anywhere, so I'm guessing someone sold grampas rifle or something. Hard to find any real good deals and most people have become internet experts so they jack thier stuff way up.

My brother has all the luck, he alway falls into deals. Not me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I used to frequent my local gun stores and pawn shops. I couldn't figure out why there was barely ever even a common refurb until I asked to look at a hex one day. The lady at the counter said "mosin? I didn't think I had any Mosins. I have a guy looking for those"

and I bet it's the same way at the rest of the stores in my area. I barely get time for gun shows so what I buy always comes from armslist or Aim

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
WWII was a long time ago, and if you want a milsurp, this is a good time to
find one and get it. The supply is problematic and demand is growing for them.

Its hit or miss for surplus rifles but one thing is certain: when it hits, it will be at the wrong time
for your wallet so plan to bite the bullet and buy. The time to buy is now, not later.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Few and far between... I find myself passing through Buda, TX mega-über-súper-Cabela's and there'll be heaps and stacks of recent refurbished Mosin-Nagant 91/30s, no carbines to speak of, and while the vast majority are '42 or '43 dates, every now and then a /1\ mark... One will have old button bands reblued and installed on an otherwise utterly conventional 91/30 and I'll find myself contemplating getting it just for the barrel bands!:)

I'm at the point where it'd have to be something mighty interesting to add to the collection. ex-SCW and early 1920s "ex-Dragoons" for me these days.

Carbines have all dried up long ago.:(

Thing is, the economy is so bad and ARs so in vogue, that at shows you can still find incredible stuff with early CAI import marks trickling out at shows!:thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Local shows have not produced anything interesting in a while, small shows have more than the large shows....large shows have a tendency for the sharks to pounce on stuff before the doors open...

Local shops pretty much have slim pickins all the time - Local shop owners tell me milsurp items do not sell well around here.

Auctions or the trader here on the forum is the best way to find cool stuff....be prepared to shell out $$....demand is high for cool stuff....

I believe this forum and others sure did drive up the demand for milsurp.....and drove up the prices.....;)

Tis a blessing and a curse.....Blessing as some of my items are worth now, much much more than I paid.....Curse as there were items i held back on and did not buy.....now the prices have climbed on those items far higher than my pay grade....;)

Pahtu.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
It has become a real dilemma when I deliberate parting with anything from the collection, knowing it is getting harder (and more expensive) to add neat and unusual items.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My favorite shop the next town over usually had a 6ft rack full of surplus stuff, but they haven't had anything in years. The shop in town has never had anything too good. My local Gander Mtn. is stocked to the gills with K31s, M1911s, M96/11s, and M1889s in addition to the 20 or so M91/30s on the rack. They bought a bunch of Swiss stuff out of Illinois was the story and they only went to a few Michigan stores. The prices aren't great, however. Cabelas is hit and miss. Armslist is full of ARs and overpriced crap. Gunshows are hit and miss around here as well. I bought a lot last year, but have slowed down a lot this year. Lack of funds, deals, and quality.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Some 20 years ago when so many guns were coming in . Egypt Hakim rifles were odd ball surplus rifles . The same gun today is a neat and unusual collectable with a neat and unusual price . I bought one back then for $75.00 , guy was so happy to get rid of it .

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
After selling off almost everything I owned a few years ago (more or less quit collecting milsurps), in the last two months I've found a SVT 38, two sweet non-refurb 91/30's (one's an all matched but import marked Finn) and an all matched k98 dufflecut bring back, so I guess I am back into collecting again?
You have to trick them into thinking you aren't looking for (or at) them, and then they poke their heads up from behind the bushes..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.