Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently in the market for one. It seems like theyre actually in good shape. If anyone bought one plz lmk how it turned out.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i didnt lol. They want way to much money for em. Their 1000 but if u want a remington,winchester it goes up to 1500... and if u want an eddy its still like 1400

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gun auction I go to usually has a 1917 or two. They normally go for around $800. And you get to hold and examine the weapon before bidding starts.
What place is that? Ive been trying to find an earlier one that couldve been used in the war but im finding that a lot of them are later 1918s. They mustve made a ton of those rifles in that short period. Im still looking tho. Was thinkin about getting a serbian mauser too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ive been trying to find an earlier one that couldve been used in the war but im finding that a lot of them are later 1918s. They mustve made a ton of those rifles in that short period. Im still looking tho. Was thinkin about getting a serbian mauser too.
User cplnorton posted a US Ordnance Department letter which estimated that, by May of 1919 some 734,107 M1917 rifles (out of 2,544,853 manufactured) had been "lost, scrapped and consumed". It's no wonder that earlier-production rifles aren't as frequently encountered with that kind of attrition.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Something I found odd in the way of coincidence. That last two 1917 I saw were parkerized refurbished. Both guns. had the barrel screwed in with the front sight canted to the side. One of them had the front drifted and the other did not. They both looked stupid and at the same time it could easily be missed.

The 1917 is not the gun the home DIY guy want to be messing with the barrel. As for head space, sure why not? Not in an panic like some, but; if I was in a mood to test something, I would start with a liquid to test for receiver ring cracks. I dont know... I not been one to worry to much and then I saw a lebel in the French forum. Yesterday. OMG, eye opener that was.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,763 Posts
The problem is there are new collectors out there with a limited budget who WANT TO BELIEVE they'll get a good one.. They'll see 10 horrible reviews but latch onto the one in ten that says "I got one in decent shape."

I wouldn't buy any of the ****y Ethiopian surplus rifles for myself and if I ever got them for my store I would make it clear they were heavily used Ethiopian surplus.

Anything that was given/sold as surplus to a third world nation that then also sells it off as surplus, you can count on it being heavily worn, likely beyond use/accuracy. There will be exceptions but with the prices they are asking, I'm not a gambling man.

My personal opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts