Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
Looks kind of South African, except for the extra leg on the broad arrow. What's the serial number?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PF143504

It looks like a letter M inside the letter U. There are also a couple much smaller marks below the letter M, one of which looks like the letter N, the other a symbol I do not recognize.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Yes, it's one of the South African property marks. The smaller stuff looks like a poorly stamped inspector's mark (crown over letter or number)...not part of the bigger mark.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
Per Stratton - Fazakerley made between '49 and '50. Skennerton is not available to me right now, it is at home.

I have an SA with a Faz serial number. What is on the buttplate? Mine has S.A.N. for South African Navy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi JB,

The meanings of the markings as indicated above are merely the opinion of most of the better informed South African collectors!

My own observations over many years support these views. When I "did my time" from the middle 1960s to the 1970s I was issued with, and still possess, a number of bits of equipment bearing the MU marking. Certain contemporary items in my collection are similarly marked. My earliest dated piece is my own mess tin marked MU and 1963. South Africa became a republic in 1961. The fact that the No.4 above bears the MU marking is unusual but quite possible since these rifles remained on issue into the 1970s.

There was only one instance of a legislated "Militia" in South Africa. This was in Natal from 1903 to 1913. The "Active Militia" were issued with Lee Enfield Mk.I*s stamped C.A.M. The Natal Militia were incorporated into the Union Defence Force in July,1913 as part of the Active Citizen Force (A.C.F.) The term "Militia" has thus been officially obsolete since that date.

Concerning the U Diamond stamped into (or "engraved" on!) military items released for sale, this marking appears to have been introduced shortly following the Second World War. Or, so I was told by an ex U.D.F. armourer who had experience of thus marking rifles.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Concerning the U Diamond stamped into (or "engraved" on!) military items released for sale, this marking appears to have been introduced shortly following the Second World War. Or, so I was told by an ex U.D.F. armourer who had experience of thus marking rifles.
Thanks. The U diamond marking is the one which concerned me. I was aware of the U arrow (up or down) and the later UM. That one also appears on the R1 rifles and bayonets. The U diamond has always been a spot for speculation.

But.....heh hehe...I've only seen all those markings on things which have been previously released as surplus! ;)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
I would call that a typical South African early PF series. I'd place a small bet on the import mark being IAC for Interarms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.