Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know, he is a GBF member, and this way I might catch his attention!:)

Jeff, I read the saga elsewhere about your problems with publishing and then the slowness in selling your German Regimental Markings Book, 1st and 2nd editions, the garage full of pallets, etc...
:(

But for heavens sake man, do you not realise just how many people - mostly new collectors - only learned about this book later (e.g., me!) - it came out when, 1995? - and so we later collectors NOW desperately want to have this tome, because of its comprehensiveness and apparently well-deserved reputation? Be kind to us late-comers, who don't necessarily have the USD 600+ to buy a second-hand copy when one becomes available... For which, of course, you get nowt! (That MUST be galling!)

How about a subscriber's only reprint or an Otto-type Turkish bayonets CD - pretty please, basically anything for those of us left groping in the dark!
:crossfingers:

Best wishes, from Tragic Trajan, trying to work out regimental marks on German bayonets and getting nowhere very slowly...

PS: Jeff, any ideas on a FLZ XXXX mark???

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I personally know Jeff and it was a no go as far as publishing anymore books when we last talked about the subject. He is aware of the black market prices for his book on ebay. I paid $30 for mine which is signed by him. The FLZ unit mark is for a Flieger unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
More detail on FLZ , FLZ is Flak-Zug (anti-aircraft troops). Most had those trucks with a 3.7 cm cannon on back. The last time I saw this unit mark was on a Luger holster this unit mark is considered scarce. BTW I have mention this thread to Jeff and he's giving serious consideration about producing some more books.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK here is what is under consideration at this time. I feel I am going to be burned at the stake if I don't do something. First, I do not want to do an electronic version. Just call me old fashion. I am looking into putting this out like the Addendum I just published. It will be soft cover, spiral bound, with 28 pound paper. I do not think I will be betraying those with hardcover books. There will be no hardbound re-printings so the investment in the original version is sound. The down side is the book will have to be put together as the original was actually printed (16 pages per plate) and assembled into a printable electronic file. Not impossible just a lot of work. The price should be between $75-80 each. I will just be doing small quantities. I am thinking summer 2014 for availability.

What do you all think of that?

Jeff

For those of you that are unaware of the addendum I just published please look at this link:
http://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...dum-to-The-Imperial-German-Regimental-Marking

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I couldn't agree more with you regarding the electronic option, which now-a-days guarantees that your hard work will be rewarded by unofficial copies produced by rip-off artists.

We've known each other for a long time and you have always been quick to respond to the questions and needs of our fellow collectors. Having acquired a copy of your wonderful work decades ago, I can fully understand as a writer and researcher, that hundreds and hundreds of hours were spent in compiling the tons of data that is found from the first to the last page of your book.

Personally, I'm happy to see that your work will become available to folks who aren't fortunate enough to already own a copy, but ONLY if the results are per your wishes and in the format that you prefer.

Thanks again for your yeas of help.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Totally agree with John. It would be of great benefit to the collecting community, but only if it is what you want to spend your time on. The price is certainly right.

I will send you a PayPal order for the addendum.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...The FLZ unit mark is for a Flieger unit.
Or for a FlakZug unit... Or Festungs unit... Or a... The possibilities seem endless!:cry:

However, if you look at the original site discussing this you will see there are over a 1,000 bayonets marked this way, which suggests a single large unit, not a Flieger unit. Note, for example, all those navy marked bayonets, which give the base abbreviation followed by numbers... I am currently thinking more along the lines of a Festungs unit, perhaps for Zossen?

Trajan

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More detail on FLZ , FLZ is Flak-Zug (anti-aircraft troops). Most had those trucks with a 3.7 cm cannon on back. The last time I saw this unit mark was on a Luger holster this unit mark is considered scarce. BTW I have mention this thread to Jeff and he's giving serious consideration about producing some more books.
Just seen this - thanks, you are the second to suggest this possibility. Any idea how these units were organised? Do the pistol marks also go along the lines of 'FLZ XXXX'???

Trajan

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK here is what is under consideration at this time.... ...The price should be between $75-80 each. I will just be doing small quantities. I am thinking summer 2014 for availability.

What do you all think of that?

Jeff

For those of you that are unaware of the addendum I just published please look at this link:
http://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...dum-to-The-Imperial-German-Regimental-Marking

Jeff, if I may be so familiar, that is an excellent option! I think most people would be happy to have any kind of copy, or at least have access to a copy! So, many thanks for responding, and please put me down for a copy of whatever is produced!

Julian

·
Registered
92 Posts
trajan, The Germans had over 1000 different Flak related units by 1918. Flak-Züge numbered to 183. These later became Flak-Batterien which numbered to 775. I believe FLZ relates to a Flak training organization. There were also Flak-Scheinwerfer-Züge numbering to 795. Jeff

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just an update on the Redux of The Imperial German Regimental Marking. Things are almost complete and I am in my final review. I expect books to be available by June 1st. The price will be $80 + postage ($5.60) for priority mail (within the USA). More to come soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know this is probably not the right area to post this but......"The Imperial German Regimental Marking [Revised Edition]" by Jeff Noll is available again. This Redux publication is spiral bound with a color cover (w/clear plastic top cover), printed on 28 pound paper, 198 pages and is the same as my original printed and bound hardcover book. It will be produced in very small quantities. Price is $80 plus $5.60 Priority mail postage (USA). Non-USA addresses-I will ship per your preference. Shipping weight is 1.75 pounds. Other shipping methods are always available at buyers direction. Personal checks are fine. Please mail to: Jeff Noll, P.O.Box 7184, Ventura, CA, USA 93006-7184. Paypal is also available for everyone (Foreign and USA). My Paypal address is; [email protected]

·
Gold Bullet member
2,133 Posts
Received mine Friday , wow that was fast! Thanks Jeff!

Best regards,
Len

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.