Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these on order after reading the glowing review in thefirearmsblog.com The pistols were supposed to begin shipping on Feb. 1 but I have yet to see one. The day I ordered one, the dealer got a phone call while I was there from a distributor asking him if he wanted any, but again, nothing has shown up here. I have read posts on other forums about the pistols having problems but it seems they are all third hand or even further removed from an actual hands on experience, except for one where the potential buyer handled one at a Cabela's and found the slide gritty to move and that the pistol locked open without a magazine inserted.
Has anybody here shot one and what do you think about it? Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
603 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion on the Sig Forum and its all very, very bad. The last picture I saw showed a brand new one that had its slide stop spot welded together and then hammered into the pistol. It was brand new and unfired. Other posts complain of malfunctions and crappy workmanship.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
When Remington brought out their 1911 pistol, there were a lot of reports of quality problems, leading some people to dismiss them as junk.
Since then, Remington seems to have fixed the problems and they're good guns.

I suspect the same will be true of the new R51. Just teething problems that shouldn't have been shipped.
You might want to wait a couple of months for the problems to be ironed out.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Here's some reviews with dates - they do have problems

Feb 2014 - a critical TAG review http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

and a defense of that review: http://www.hausofguns.com/2014/02/12/remington-r51-review-defending-leghorn/

Jan 2014 http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

It didn't ship to dealers until Feb 1 and I suspect the pre-production ones tested in Jan. and earlier were the usual hand built and carefully fitted PR sales jobs. For some reason a couple of other early reviews have been pulled - Remington swings a lot of weight.

I make it a rule to NEVER BUY A NEW MODEL ANYTHING IN THE FIRST YEAR OR 2 OF PRODUCTION! Why should YOU pay for fixing the manufacturer's mistakes?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I shot one, and it has some interesting points, and some issues. I loved the actual feel, it is reminiscent of my fav Mak, which I did not have on hand to compare size and other things. It has the potential to be very good I think. BUT, those with large hands might have some issues with the slide biting them, the owner of it has it occur. I think his hand position might be an issue too, he shoots with thumbs forward where I shoot thumbs curled down and locked. I know that thumbs forward can cause issues with safeties and it might put the web of hand up higher in line with the back of the slide, that is speculative as I did not experience it, or watch the owner actually shoot it. Also it is thin, so if you have issues with a thin pistol hurting your hand it wont be your cup of tea.

My impression was, give the design a year to work out the bugs and it just MIGHT, be a very nice CC pistol. I plan on waiting a year and then looking at onecloser for myself. Having spent many years in data processing working close with QC in manufacturing I agree with JK, always give new designs a year or two to work out the bugs. It is extremely common for things to be found by the users, designers and testers seem to have a preset idea of what will go wrong and do not think out of the box in initial testing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts