Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're a long ways from me (apparently there are none in Cali), but was wondering if any of you folks are catching and eating them where they are common?

Asian Carp: Can't Beat Them? Eat Them

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
I've always heard they don't taste good.

Feed 'em to prisoners eh? If we enforce some particular laws we might need up to another 20-million-a-day really soon! Wouldn't that be nice? I think taxpaying Americans would APPROVE paying for throwning one of these a day over the electrified barbed-wire for each detainee until they are repatriated...

Alden

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
Recipe for carp. First filet the carp. leave skin on and place the carp fillet on a cedar plank. coat the exposed fish side with a marinade made of seasoned salt, lemon juice, some onion and garlic. cover with a tent of aluminum foil and place on a medium temperature grill for about 20-30 minuites depending on size of the fillet. Remove from grill throw away the carp and eat the cedar plank. Seriously. We are a long way from having to eat that fish. the English and French like them but that is because of poor resource management etc. Carp are bony, coarse fleshed and strong tasting.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recipe for carp. ... Carp are bony, coarse fleshed and strong tasting.
Ha ha...I've seen that recipe before, OldGoat...and it's still funny!

OTOH, I like coarse and strong tasting fish. There's a large Asian population here, and the article says that's the primary market, so maybe I can find some to try. If I can I will report back with results.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have had regular grass carp over a fire..not bad..asian carp..deep fried ..everything is good deep fried
THIS. Who could object to deep fried beer-battered fish fillets?

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Recipe for carp. First filet the carp. leave skin on and place the carp fillet on a cedar plank. coat the exposed fish side with a marinade made of seasoned salt, lemon juice, some onion and garlic. cover with a tent of aluminum foil and place on a medium temperature grill for about 20-30 minuites depending on size of the fillet. Remove from grill throw away the carp and eat the cedar plank. Seriously. We are a long way from having to eat that fish. the English and French like them but that is because of poor resource management etc. Carp are bony, coarse fleshed and strong tasting.
ROFLMAO - We had a similar recipe for Loon. In your pot of veggies brought to a boil, put in a Loon and a rock of the same size. When the rock gets tender, throw away the Loon and eat the rock...

Wish I had that old campers book today.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,662 Posts
Carp are a garbage fish around here, not sure if they are everywhere or not. Might just be the places they are caught... muddy rivers. Most people, when they catch them leave them on the banks, to keep them from reproducing. I have no experience with cooking them. Though I've heard they can be smoked.

As a side note, 'round here I've only known one particular ethnic group to eat them. Don't know if it's like that everywhere though.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
I suppose it would do no harm to figure out now if there is a good way to cook these things so we could eat them if we had to. Otherwise, I imagine they would still be useful if ground up into fertilizer or pig feed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't know how closely related they are, but in Poland we ate carp every Christmas Eve - it's tradition there. The carp, a variety called Karp Krolewski (Royal Carp), is purchased live, and kept alive in your bathtub until ready to prepare. I believe that after it's fileted, the meat is deboned and put into a milk bath overnight to suck out the impurities and mellow out the taste. It's actually pretty good.

·
Gold Bullet member
885 Posts
I don't know how closely related they are, but in Poland we ate carp every Christmas Eve - it's tradition there. The carp, a variety called Karp Krolewski (Royal Carp), is purchased live, and kept alive in your bathtub until ready to prepare. I believe that after it's fileted, the meat is deboned and put into a milk bath overnight to suck out the impurities and mellow out the taste. It's actually pretty good.
I think keeping it in the bathtub helpse with the taste also. I have left catfish in clean water before I cleaned it. (also did the overnight soak in milk)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think they have a mud vein that needs to be cut out to make them better for eaten. Trash fish here, but we use to catch them just for the fun because they were big and would be a good fight on lite tackle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cartoonist, the Common Carp is native to Eastern Europe, so my guess is that's the one you ate in Poland. It and the Grass Carp are both bottom-plant eaters whose flavor benefits greatly from a few days in clear water before being eaten.

The two primary invasive carps in the Mississippi system are the Silver Carp and the Bighead Carp, which are free-swimming plankton eaters that are reportedly very good eating when prepared properly. Go over to youtube and search on 'frying asian carp' and similar terms to see lots of videos about how to fillet and prepare the meat.

I went to my local Winco Foods this morning, and while they stocked a large variety of frozen farmed Chinese, Vietmanese and Thai fresh water fish, alas there was no carp of any kind. I will expand my search perimeter to find some to try.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,605 Posts
Carp are a garbage fish around here, not sure if they are everywhere or not. Might just be the places they are caught... muddy rivers. Most people, when they catch them leave them on the banks, to keep them from reproducing. I have no experience with cooking them. Though I've heard they can be smoked.

The only problem is keeping them lit.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a market that carries Grass and Bighead Carp, and bought a pound of Bighead to try. The lady said a good, easy way to try it is to dip it in egg, salt and pepper to taste, then roll it in unflavored bread crumbs and fry or bake it. This is how I prepare most white-fish anyway, so I have a good benchmark to go from. I'll report back tonight.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Smoked carp is very good especially with beer, crackers, and cheese :)
Smoked [insert favorite fish or meat here] is very good especially with beer, crackers, and cheese :)

There...FTFY. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.