Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I wonder if any of you are UK shooters ? I am planing on attending the Phoenix meeting at Bisley next weekend Sunday May 30th. And wonder if any Martini shooters attend there, as I have never been to Bisley before but am interested in Martini rifles and shooting. I do have my section 1 but not as yet a Martini on it. I do own a Martini Henry that I am thinking of putting on my ticket but would appreciate some thoughts on the rifle etc before i did this. Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
HI I wonder if any of you are UK shooters ? I am planing on attending the Phoenix meeting at Bisley next weekend Sunday May 30th. And wonder if any Martini shooters attend there, as I have never been to Bisley before but am interested in Martini rifles and shooting. I do have my section 1 but not as yet a Martini on it. I do own a Martini Henry that I am thinking of putting on my ticket but would appreciate some thoughts on the rifle etc before i did this. Thanks
Yet another who won't be there for the Phoenix. I'll be there for the "1910" short range comp next month. I'm shooting a Martini in the deliberate and rapid stages nd using a P14 and a No4 for two full matches.
Does the rifle you're thinking of using have any "issues"? Bad bore, or loose woodwork for instance.
Provided the rifle is in good condition you should have no problems getting it to shoot accurately. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a fair sprinkling of Martinis in evidence for the Phoenix as they are quite a popular rifle. There's bound to be someone there whos brain you can pick on one of the firing points. Failing that have a chat with some of the dealers on the trade stands.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Gape....yet another who wont be at the Phoenix this year, She Who Must Be Obeyed has decreed that we will be elsewhere.
Putting your Martin-Henry on your FAC is simple, getting it shoot right maybe not so.
Whilst at the Phoenix have a good look around for bullets (that is if you are not casting your own) as different bullets suit different rifles. Andy Allwood used to be at the Phoenix and had a variety of suitable hard cast Alox lubricated bullets but I understand he is now "persona non grata" at Bisley.
Good quality black powder is also important, the more you pay the better it will be, also use magnum primers, they help with ignition and ultimately give better obturation in the chamber.
Cases are not cheap so always look after them and make sure that if you full length resize them that you anneal the necks occassionally, it will improve case life hugely.
Lastly and most importantly shoot it as often as possible and have fun....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts