Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just a simple question:

How many Type 99 rifles, no matter what configuration, have any of you found during your collecting career, that were chambered for the 6,5x50SR cartridge?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
I have never seen or hear of a T99 chambered for the 6.5x50. But I do have a T38 carbine that was rebarreled and chambered for 7.7x58 by the Japanese when they were getting ready to make the T99's. On top of the chamber is written experimental 7.7 riceone.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello AWO425 :

Original Japanese 99 in any but 7.7mm would have to be experimental or post war tinkering, many 99 actions have been rechambered with the original barrels or else rebarreled to take advantage of other commercial calibers.
No I have never seen a military 99 action in anything but 7.7.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have never seen or hear of a T99 chambered for the 6.5x50. But I do have a T38 carbine that was rebarreled and chambered for 7.7x58 by the Japanese when they were getting ready to make the T99's. On top of the chamber is written experimental 7.7 riceone.
Is that the only one reported?

You have alot of cool rifles!!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hey Josh man :

Now you undestand why I want to go visit all these collectors around the country, Roy has some very exceptional pieces which he has shared with all of us lately. I can't wait till I hit Ole Miss. AL, FL, NC.
Vicasoto

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
The 38's converted to 7.7 are covered in MRoJ. Garfield's Dad had a 38 rifle identical to Riceones.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
This rifle is in Franks book but the serial number he has posted is for someone else's rifle. So there is at least one more and probably more since this one is No. 48. I have seen Garfields Dads rifle. riceone

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Josh, saw these two down south a few years back,not sure if this is the pic I took or someone elses but it was the one on my work computer.Thats one reason for making the trip to the gatherings (the fellowship of fellow "collectors" being the foremost reason )..some of these guys have items that are beyond belief .

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms has a T-38[?] trainer that accepts a 6.5 cartridge. The rifle looks like a T-99 long trainer, has a T-99 long front band. Which is it?

Chuck.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,554 Posts
Sounds like the common T 99 long (naval) trainer; which is kind of a hybrid, pretty much a T 38 trainer with a one piece T 99 long styled stock and similar front band.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was down south about a week ago, I shouldve called some guys up so I could see these rifles!!!

I probably even passed by some of the towns that you guys live in.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms has a T-38[?] trainer that accepts a 6.5 cartridge. The rifle looks like a T-99 long trainer, has a T-99 long front band. Which is it? Chuck.
How many gas ports does it have? A true T-38/99 long rifle trainer will have the typical T-99 front band and a receiver with twin gas ports. A true T-99 long rifle trainer will have a front band and receiver with both T-99 long attributes.

C/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts