Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over lunch today I stopped by a yard sale and purchased a Mannlicher sporting rifle. Carbine length barrel, double set triggers, folding leaf express sight, set up for a claw type scope mount but the mounts are missing. I have no idea what caliber it is and need some help. The bridge of the receiver is marked:

Mannlicher
Schoenaur
229xx
M 1903

Side of the receiver is marked:

Oester Waffenfabr. Ges. Steyr

Bore appears to be 8mm

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
12,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The model 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer comercial sporting rifle as you describe was only available from the factory in the propritery 6.5x54 MannlicherSchoenauer cartridge.

I believe that Norma still loads this cartridge but most owners "roll there own".

Occasionaly you will find one rechamered to 6.5x55 Swede but making the rotary magazine work properly with another caliber is a tricky proposition.

The MS is sweet carbine. I have three of them, a 1903 in 6.5x54 MS with claw mounts and a Weaver scope, a 1905 in 9x56 MS with a Griffen and Howell removable side mount and redfield scope and a 1908 in 8x56 MS with a butchered stock that I am working on resurecting. I hope to take at least one deer with each of the first two this year and the 1908 in the future.

Vlad

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I believe this is a 6.5x54 Mannlicher. I slugged the bore tonight and it definitely is 6.5mm. Now to find some 6.5x54 cases.

Vlad, tell me about how yours shoots. From the limited info I have found so far, this round looks like it will be a very nice light game rifle. Mine is set up for a claw type scope mount, unfortunately the mount is missing. Any thoughts on where to look for one?

I am really happy with this little rifle. Considering I have less than $175 in it, makes me even happier!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I believe this is a 6.5x54 Mannlicher. I slugged the bore tonight and it definitely is 6.5mm. Now to find some 6.5x54 cases.

Vlad, tell me about how yours shoots. From the limited info I have found so far, this round looks like it will be a very nice light game rifle. Mine is set up for a claw type scope mount, unfortunately the mount is missing. Any thoughts on where to look for one?

I am really happy with this little rifle. Considering I have less than $175 in it, makes me even happier!
Did someone say "CLAW MOUNTS"??

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've got a military Y03/14/27. I think it's the rifle I'm proudest to own. Not that it's anything special, but it's the one that took me the longest to find, for now. Finally cleaned it up, but have yet to shoot it. Anyone know who makes the cheapest ammo? Norma's too spendy for me, and I won't shoot it enough to make rolling my own pay for itself.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
I would do a chamber cast just to be sure. You never can tell.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Peck,

I am getting a 1 3/4" five shot group off the bench at 100 yards using a 160 grain Hornady round nosed soft point with 30.5 grains of IMR4895, OAL of 3.00".

I have not tried any other powders yet.

Vlad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts