Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about picking up a repro IJA helmet for my collection, simply because I don't have 600 plus for a real one...........and if I did I probably would spend it on another Shin Gunto or type 14 Nambu before I would on a helmet.

But it raises the question, do any of use have "repro/filler" pieces in our collections?

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
reproductions are poison. i don't sell them, and i try not to own them. i only own one reproduction item and that is a spigot grenade launcher and grenade. if folks see you selling a reproduction item they usually steer clear of your table all together at shows.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
reproductions are poison. i don't sell them, and i try not to own them. i only own one reproduction item and that is a spigot grenade launcher and grenade. if folks see you selling a reproduction item they usually steer clear of your table all together at shows.
I like repops at auctions it will poison the auction so bad that if you know what you are looking at you can get good stuff cheep .

·
Diamond Bullet Member
208 Posts
I have noticed on fleabay lately that the folks in China have reproduced the type 100 paratrooper bayonet scabbard as well as the scabbard for the regular bayonet in metal as well as wood. They look really good and scare the hell out of me. Whats next. Has any one here had a chance to handle any of these? are they as good as they look? Bob Hauck

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have noticed on fleabay lately that the folks in China have reproduced the type 100 paratrooper bayonet scabbard as well as the scabbard for the regular bayonet in metal as well as wood. They look really good and scare the hell out of me. Whats next. Has any one here had a chance to handle any of these? are they as good as they look? Bob Hauck
I've been watching that repro last ditch wooden scabbard on ebay..........I'll admit it does look good, but like many Chinese fakes, there are probably physical features that can distinguish it from an original........even if somebody attempted to age it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'd only buy repro stuff if I want to do some re-enacting. They're great for that purpose. I wouldn't buy any to collect. They don't add value to the piece.

What I don't get is when the repro crap cost more than the real things! The last repro T30 bayonet I saw was like $100 for one. Most originals aren't worth that much. I just wish sellers at gun shows around here knew that! :cry:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a repro ammo belt with pouches, one repro monopod for display, and a repro frog for one of my bayonets. Other than that everything else is original in my collection. I just didn't want to find an all original ammo belt with pouches or pay the high prices that they bring. Plus I only need a repro to do reenacting or to walk around the gun shows with anyway so that kills two birds with one stone I believe. Also I do agree with the others that repros can kill certain items but with the harder to find stuff I'll have a repro ready until I get lucky enough or rich enough to buy the real thing

·
Gold Bullet Member
641 Posts
I tried a repro sling { swedish} on a rifle and it bug me to death ,now I probably have $4k in real slings on my rifles, I do have repro eye cups on some of my snipers and just bought some real nice (4x) ones off of ebay , which I believe are Don's??? i do hate the repro muzzle covers personally , they look and feel like plastic junk....IMHO.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a repro ammo belt with pouches, one repro monopod for display, and a repro frog for one of my bayonets. Other than that everything else is original in my collection.

but with the harder to find stuff I'll have a repro ready until I get lucky enough or rich enough to buy the real thing
I agree on the repro belt/ammo pouch set up, you could easily spend 700 plus for an original belt/ammo pouch set.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I guess it would be what your collection is for. I do reenactments and have repros of the periods I do - Harper's Ferry pistol (Originals go around 9-15 thousand)/CW era sabre/ etc. I also have set up displays of the progression of US weapons and use a good quality repro of what I can't afford yet, carefully marked as such. For a static display of a typical soldier and an original wasn't anywhere in price range or available, then a tagged repro could be important for accuracy.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess it would be what your collection is for. I do reenactments and have repros of the periods I do - Harper's Ferry pistol (Originals go around 9-15 thousand)/CW era sabre/ etc. I also have set up displays of the progression of US weapons and use a good quality repro of what I can't afford yet, carefully marked as such. For a static display of a typical soldier and an original wasn't anywhere in price range or available, then a tagged repro could be important for accuracy.
You bring up a good point, I have a lot of Rev War, and Civil War re-enactor uniform stuff, that I used to do, or plan on doing in the near future. For some there is no way to get around it. I don't mind reproduction items for those (hard to get items) as long as they are labeled as reproduction and not aged to look old. For my local library Civil War display, I use repro uniforms, as originals are well out of my price range and always will be.

I know there are some museums out there that use reproduction items for displays, if they cannot financially obtain an original example of what they need.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
I do have to backtrack a little. I'd forgotten about the repro pistol lanyard I bought at one of the last Great Western Shows. I only bought it ($20) to have as a reference as to what the repros look like and that T-97 I just bought has a repro rubber eye cup on it. I'm pretty sure that's it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
I do have to backtrack a little. I'd forgotten about the repro pistol lanyard I bought at one of the last Great Western Shows. I only bought it ($20) to have as a reference as to what the repros look like and that T-97 I just bought has a repro rubber eye cup on it. I'm pretty sure that's it.
Probably the only way to get an eye cup that isn't hard or crumbling is a repro.

As long as one knows what it is, and it is a "place holder", whats the harm?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I knowingly bought a very well done repro once to fill a long time gap in the collection thinking that would calm the search anxiety a bit until I got lucky and found an original at a price I could afford. Well, it only added to the fire so I popped for the expensive piece ("I'd never pay that kind of money for a fill in the blank!" and sold the repro as a repro. I'll never do that again.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
208 Posts
One problem with all the really good quality reproductions used by reenacting folks is that a few years down the road all that stuff will look used and worn. You would not pass it off as real but others would. I gave up German stuff 30 years because of all the repros . I now only collect stuff that I know they can't repro. Like Rifles and optics. Bob

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I knowingly bought a very well done repro once to fill a long time gap in the collection thinking that would calm the search anxiety a bit until I got lucky and found an original at a price I could afford. Well, it only added to the fire so I popped for the expensive piece ("I'd never pay that kind of money for a fill in the blank!" and sold the repro as a repro. I'll never do that again.
Grey Ghost, what exactly was that repro????

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.