Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is an Izzy that came from Navy Arms in 1996.It has the reddish color on the stock that the current imports have,and has a very nice bore,and shot good the last I remember.Anyway,the scope number on the left side of the barrel was groung off and polished during re-arsenal.This is the only one I have seen like that.Most have a number,or a struck out and re-number.I'm sure its not a fake,because at the time the fakes were well used SA marked Finn captures.(Finn captures were the ONLY 91/30's that I seen in that time)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a refurbished Ishevesk 1943 Exsniper PU rifle in laminated replacement stock. The scope number on the left side of the barrel has been roughly groundoff, then the whole rifle refurbished from the looks of it. PU holes are filled and arsenal renumbered on bolt and magazine base to match. Bore is like new, mirror, sharp and tight. Came to me from a friend who ordered a batch of Laminated M91/30s -from Century.
---DD

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Ground off original scope serial numbers on Mosin snipers

It's not uncommon to find a post-war refurbished Izhevsk 91/30 sniper, both PEM and PU as Sturmgrenadier mentioned, with the original scope serial number on the barrel shank removed. This was done when the rifle was refurbished and outfitted with another scope. Initially, the Soviets removed or canceled out the old scope serial number and stamped the new one on the barrel shank. After they began using the electropenciled numbers on the mount itself, some refurbed rifles were left with their original scope serial number intact and others had it removed and no other number stamped on the barrel.

Sometimes the number is pretty crudely ground off or only partially removed, other times it is done so well that you really have to examine the rifle closely and carefully to determine that it ever had a scope number stamped on it.

The '43 Izhevsk PU that I got through the famous "Gunboards Group Buy Deal" that Tuco set up several years ago has the number buffed off - it's a good job and someone who didn't know what to look for would have a hard time spotting it.

A number of the ex-snipers in my collection or that I have owned over the years also have this number removed and no new number added. Sometimes you can still see traces of the old number and can determine what the original scope on the rifle was.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have a '42 Izhevsk ex that came from SOG in one of those buy 10 get 2 for free deals that the gunshop where I work always gets for stocking MN's. The number has been polished off so nicely that you can hardly notice it until you look closely or remove the stock. The left side of the barrel shank is slightly flat and polished a little bit better than the rest of the rifle. Also, the plugs for the scope mount are so nicely polished, that they are difficult to see, as well. One of the plug holes has the slightest bubble in the weld, as well. It is just a slight peck mark in the finish. Other than that, and looking inside the receiver at the holes, one would probably miss that it was ever a sniper.

I have an Izhevsk mount and a "CB" marked SVT/PU style scope to go on it, but just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Still alittle nervous about popping those plugs out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts