Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
They are made from parts kits or mixed parts. century is claiming Yugo m70 parts have dried up and they pretty much ran their course .RPK's were in lesser numbers so maybe they too have run their course .

G

·
Machining cost money .To be honest the markets need isnt high enough . When a military contract guarantees a thousand or more complete rifles or so .Its worth the cost and planning and then prices and manufacturing can be exacted to a set ammount per rifle .A bid is made . To come up with a demand driven manufacture of loose parts to an american company willing to buid some ak's for USA consumption is a gamble . And these european companys are not exactly using the top of the line machining equipment either. No CNC's . but old reliable machines requiring set up and planing .Weapon production in these countrys require more labor (wich is very cheap by comparison ) to fast production machines requiring little set up . Yes they poses such equipment , but it wont be utalised for something as small as our little consumer market . There are much more efficent uses for their high tech equipment that can turn out fast parts . Military contracts . And remember selling AK's or Ak parts is touch and go .Ak's are every where ! And offered by a lot of countrys . They are cheap ,and competition has got to be tough . Its all in numbers and our little corner of the market is met best by surplus .

G

·
hmm...assuming nothing is banned immediatly, would more kits come in? I would assume the yugos have more rifles to make into kits.....
The cant come in with a barrel anymore . And without a barrel , its a hard sell .Like selling cars without motors .Especial;y since a USA manufactured barrels are not easy to come by . One manufacturer has bucked up manufacturing some real nice barrels used on the yugo's ..Green river barrel . But only one . Because machining cost money . Retooling the machining cost money . Every one asks why chrome lined USA barrels arent available .Its because by the time they were set up and all the processes put together to make them ,you wouldnt be willing to pay the price. Its very expensive . The market isnt there to support the need and spread out the cost . Unlike our little market , the romanians, russians ,chinese ,bulgarians have turned out millions of chrome lined barrels litteraly and have had the processes set up for a long time . the process was at a loss for them , Just like a space shuttle or missle defence system is to us , A source of national defence or pride .it doesnt have to be economicaly feasable . Money invested in the spread of an Ideal . No one will make chrome lined barrels for our consumption .And its not because we lack the technology , But because you cant turn a dollar doing it . And also the process makes and contains enough toxins to realy trump the cost .

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Vladimir hit it on the head. The most important part of any firearm is the barrel. You can make everything else out of tin metal, it will have to be bulky, but with enough material it will hold. The barrel! The barrel has to be made out of good spring steel. With that effing no barrel allowed ban, we might as well start making AK in US from scratch.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Are the chrome lined AR barrels not made in the U.S.?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm.....My ffl is interested in my m70b1, as is another guy. PART of me wants to keep and have a fullstocked ak, along with an underfolder. But part of me again would like to sell the m72 for the psl....Just don't know what I will do. I really like the yugo m72 though. Shot it last weekend for the first time, extremely accurate. And in my experience the underfolders aren't as accurate, if they have any stock wobble......

But, I didn't generally try to shoot the underfolder I had for accuracy much anyway. It is, frankly, a SHTF type rifle for me.

What would you guys do? I fear the months it might take to save up for a psl, they will either be banned or no more will come in.

Never have understood why romania can't just import them complete.....

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,186 Posts
ROMAK III/PSL rifles are sporting arms. I would think the liklihood of their being banned is much smaller than RPK/AK/SKS type rifles. Much more liklihood of future availability. Price is another matter.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think they are ridiculously overpriced...
No more overpriced than a Romanian RPK, have you seen what these are going for lately? What does an RPK have that a PSL doesn't besides a higher capacity mag? They're built on essentialy the same receiver and both have chrome lined barrels...

G

·
Are the chrome lined AR barrels not made in the U.S.?
Yes they are .The processes were set up on a military contract .And commercial availability was second .. Now getting them to chrome an ak barrel is another story . The bores of the barrels must be oversized and then chromed . Right now the only folks to make ak barrels have been green river . Now getting them to make a barrel sutable for chrome lining and then getting the chroming done is another matter. Its hard to make viable when chrome lined barrels are still out there as surplus and under 100 bucks .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.