Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get these if there is an interest - Old German, Soviet, and Finnish shells - 88's, 105's, 120's, and the like. Does anyone here collect these?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not on your list but two that I'd be interested in buying in quantity if in good condition:

20mm x 138B for the Lahti/Solothurn rifles and Flak cannon
25mmx 194R for the Hotchkiss/Puteaux AT cannon

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I don't collect shells as such,I got these by accident.A female co-worker told be her husband was in the Army,and I was looking for some .223 brass to reload so I asked her if they had any 5.56 spent brass I could have,she said sure no problem she would bring some in to work.She brought these shells in for me,I told her they were not much use as I did not have anything quite that big in my safe but she wanted me to keep them,I am pretty sure they will be Australian but am not sure of caliber as I have no knowledge of artillery at all.A empty 12 gauge shell is shown for size comparison.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What condition, which variety of 88 and how much? Also what are the 105s?
Sarge

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,201 Posts
I don't collect shells as such,I got these by accident.A female co-worker told be her husband was in the Army,and I was looking for some .223 brass to reload so I asked her if they had any 5.56 spent brass I could have,she said sure no problem she would bring some in to work.She brought these shells in for me,I told her they were not much use as I did not have anything quite that big in my safe but she wanted me to keep them,I am pretty sure they will be Australian but am not sure of caliber as I have no knowledge of artillery at all.A empty 12 gauge shell is shown for size comparison.
Measure across the case mouth and an idea can be had. General appearance is like a 105mm, but that is only 4", and that looks bigger than 4" to me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Assuming that's a 3in shotshell, measuring the picture with a ruler and doing some calculations, that case mouth comes very close to 105mm.
Don

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Assuming that's a 3in shotshell, measuring the picture with a ruler and doing some calculations, that case mouth comes very close to 105mm.
Don
Actually its a 23/4 inch shotshell,I just measured the mouth and its exactly 80mm across at the widest point.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What about the 88s?
Sarge

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Which variety of 88, there are about 3 or 4 different shell cases, what condition and what price on the 88 & 105?
Sarge

·
Gold Bullet member
3,535 Posts
Checking for clarification: Tuco, do you mean the projectiles or the propellant cases?

I've started accumulating some projectiles, all US WW2 vintage. I've got a 37mm AA shell, 40mm training AA shell, 75mm tank shell, plus 3in, 5in, and 6in Navy shells. Not an easy hobby, the 6in shell weighs a good 90lbs!

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
48,069 Posts
Checking for clarification: Tuco, do you mean the projectiles or the propellant cases?
Yeah, what he said. Are we talking the "spent brass" or a full inert round.

If you can get full inert rounds for the 88, I'd say everyone interested in, german militaria, Finn militaria, or heck...WWII in general must have one of those....me included. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those are spent 76mm Shells that would have been fired from the gun on The Saladin or Scorpion armoured vehicles of British design. I can make out "ARMDC" in the photo, which stands for "Armoured Car". Please could you post the full wiritng on the bases, then I will be able to say where and when they were made.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I would be very interested in any large German produced ordnance....

Are we talking brass only or complete (inert) rounds?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are these still available? I might be interested in 88 shells.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I could use some 57mm Recoilless Rifle Casings

I'm always looking for 57mm Recoilless Casings and subcaliber rounds and subcaliber pieces.

Destiny

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Those are spent 76mm Shells that would have been fired from the gun on The Saladin or Scorpion armoured vehicles of British design. I can make out "ARMDC" in the photo, which stands for "Armoured Car". Please could you post the full wiritng on the bases, then I will be able to say where and when they were made.
A bit late with an answer,but that makes sense,scorpions were used by our army at the time I was given the shell casings.I have since given them away so can't provide any more info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts