Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Looks like a Hungarian M95 bayonet to me.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a Hungarian M95 bayonet to me.
Yep, no doubt on that!

it looks like a modified Turk frog, have a look at the frogs on my pages under Turkey shame its been butchered
You mean that's a Turk frog? Odd one! I'll check out your page later Carl, as it's late here, but thanks for the lead in.

Julian

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your input Carl and Andy B - although I have never seen a frog like that in my (admittedly short) period of collecting here in Turkey. I can't quite make out what the obverse ricasso mark is but it could be a Hungarian crest.

Trajan

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 781189
this is the Turk frog i mean not sure if this is real or not

still looking for an original this 2nd one was made by Shamen
View attachment 781188
The bayonet and frog have arrived but no photograph ready yet (raining outside and balcony too dark!). Carl, Andy, it does match the first one in Carl's post, and so Shaman's reproduction (with an oval frog stud opening) is wrong. However, nothing on the frog to indicate its origin - I don't have any of Carter's frog books, but does he say anything? Just wondering, Carl, why you thought it might be Turkish? Note that the slot for the frog stud has been extended, and so originally the top of the scabbard throat would have been the same level as the top of the frog opening, and so not as you see in the OP, where it is much lower. The wear marks on the scabbard show that this was not the original frog...

I haven't tried to clean the bayonet or scabbard of accumulated dirt yet. However, the bayonet has what I think is a Hungarian shield and crown mark on the other ricasso, and yes, Andy, spot on, it's an an OEWG scabbard with I think what might be a double eagle Austrian mark. No other markings visible as yet...

Hopefully we will have better weather tomorrow and I can take some good photographs of frog, scabbard and bayonet!

Trajan

PS: will try to wear frog and bayonet on a belt to see how long the frog stays in position with only that leather strap through the loop to keep it there.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It is one of the few Turkish frogs in Carter, and I believe SHamans was based on one from Jim MAddox. one got pulled from Ebay i was bidding on and cant remember what the hole was like, it was pretty beat up but so uncommon i had to have it, but never relisted :-( It would however come as no surprise that there would be differences between Turkish suppliers.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys,

What with one thing and another I haven't been able to check in for a long while. BUT, here are photographs of that frog - no identifying marks on it and the opening for the frog stud has been extended: note that in the OP, the scabbard throat is sunk well below the frog mouth, so the frog was altered to fit something else before the Mannlicher got in there. Otherwise as Carl's in post no.6. The bayonet is certainly FGGY with the Hugarian arms on the ricasso, but I still haven't sorted out the scabbard frog stud marking.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.