Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has a nice little Mauser Short Rifle on the rack. From 10’ I called it as either a Chilean or Spanish piece. Straight stock, upper hand guard to just past the lower barrel band, pivoting sling swivel on the side of the lower band, a fixed bar parallel to the buttplate at the left rear stock, It has the stripper clip thumb cutout on the left receiver wall and the gas escape holes in the bolt and receiver wall. It has the 2000 meter “Lange Viizier” rear sight and the bat-wing shrouded front sight. Bent bolt handle with no stock cutout, bayonet lig on the nose cap, and nose cap spring is bottom center. 21 3/4“ barrel, 7mm Mauser (LGS wasn’t sure so I brought in an 8mm, 7.65mm, and 7mm to check it out). Sound like the spitting image of a 1916 Spanish Mause, and looks just like the ones in Ball’s Mauser Military Rifles of the World (1996) pages 221-223, with a couple of glaring exceptions.

Here’s the mystery part. There are NO stock through bolts and the ONLY marking is a five digit “serial number” on the left receiver wall. No crest, no manufacturer’s markings,I haven’t even found a proof mark yet. The shop didn’t want me disassembling it without purchase and wouldn’t allow photos either. It’s a nice 75-80% rifle with decent rifling. It does not look like it’s been scrubbed. It reminds me most of a pre-production trials 1893 Mauser I had years ago (that one ended up in a museum). I had brought my Chilean Model 1895 Short Rifle in for comparison as they were very similar except for mine had full markings, the mystery rifles additional 2” of barrel and different rear sights. The shop indicated he might like to trade rifles with me as mine looked better and was handier. I’d probably prefer to buy it outright. While I have a few oddball Mauser, they have never been my mainstay. What do ya’ll think I should offer? Or should I grab the trade & run?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Mostly your description sounds like an early pattern Spanish M1916. I might be wrong, but think the early ones didn't originally have a crossbolt in the stock. However, a M1916 should only have about 1/2" longer barrel than a Chilean M1895 short rifle. Are you sure you don't have a Chilean M1895 carbine? I think those are about 17-18" barrel, which would be noticeably shorter than the M1916. I probably wouldn't trade a M95 carbine, or short rifle in equal condition for a Spanish M1916, but that is a subjective thing. I think the early Lange vizier rear sights are not common since they mostly got changed to tangent sights in the 1930's and later. Also, not sure about 5 digit s/n's on these, but perhaps renumbered at some point? Here is a reference...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Mostly your description sounds like an early pattern Spanish M1916. I might be wrong, but think the early ones didn't originally have a crossbolt in the stock. However, a M1916 should only have about 1/2" longer barrel than a Chilean M1895 short rifle. Are you sure you don't have a Chilean M1895 carbine? I think those are about 17-18" barrel, which would be noticeably shorter than the M1916. I probably wouldn't trade a M95 carbine, or short rifle in equal condition for a Spanish M1916, but that is a subjective thing. I think the early Lange vizier rear sights are not common since they mostly got changed to tangent sights in the 1930's and later. Also, not sure about 5 digit s/n's on these, but perhaps renumbered at some point? Here is a reference...
+1
From my impression, she sounds like a Spanish M1916 (M16) as well, especially due to the Lange rear sight.
Markings / Serial # are various on these Spanish Mausers; the 5-digit serial # might be a (usual) 4-digit serial # with letter-prefix. Stocks were with and w/o crossbolts. Lots of these rifles were scrubbed during refurbishment in Spanish Civil War (SCW)
--> a clear estimation w/o pictures is impossible on Spanish Mausers.

Chris

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
It is a rebuilt Spanish M1916 first pattern short rifle. The lange sight is what makes it a first pattern. Markings were scrubbed and s/n possibly changed at rebuild.

Photos are of a M1916 first pattern with original markings.

Chilean M1895 carbine, short rifle, and long rifle for barrel length comparison. The short rifle is about the same as the Spanish M1916.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.