Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good collectors book covering the Gew 98 and its development, production, and use. Are there any good books out there that covers the rifle in detail?

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendations! Now to see if I can find a copy that isn’t insanely expensive...

Really wish more of these collector’s books were available as ebooks, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I made this thread, pretty good inexpensive book with basic information on German Imperial rifles. The pictures alone for $25 is worth it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made this thread, pretty good inexpensive book with basic information on German Imperial rifles. The pictures alone for $25 is worth it.
Awesome thread, thanks for the link! Funny to hear from the person who gave me a reason to start diving more into the Gew 98’s history haha

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yep $140 new HC at Mowbray is best bet .
Used it's $175-225:cry:
The best of the best books worth every penny. Or go on line and print out everything you can find on Gew 98s and you got a pile of papers you can put in a binder at about 50 cents per page in ink unless you can download at work. Do you work at a University where it can be recorded as research????:giggle:
What takes hours at home will print out in 60 seconds;)😇😬

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The Storz' book on Gew. 98 should be a must for you, if you're interested in
  • early Gew. 98 variants and details
  • details about Gew. 98 stock changes 1914-1918
  • details about Gew. 98 stamps, e.g. the 'RC' stamp, or the 'Sterngewehr'

From my point of view, it's a must-have to evaluate the more expensive Gew.98 variants, or to check an all-matching Gew.98 for originality.

Chris

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Might just go ahead and pick up the Storz book from Mowbray. The price stings, but the books are a great resource to have.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes it is expensive but if the book goes out of print it will skyrocket

1 - 12 of 12 Posts