Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirs,

I have a friend fired up about buying an FN 57 in 5.7x28mm, and was curious if anyone had personal experience as the reviews are extremely mixed on the 'net.

thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
2,622 Posts
I, out of curiosity, spent a lot of money in a Five Seven pistol-As I shoot at targets and never carry a pistol my intention was never how it would perform on humans.On targets is precise but the trigger pull could be better, the sights are acceptable, but my dissapointment is about the high level of drop the bullet has-At the range I place metal plates at 100 yds and shoot them off hand with a CZ 75 and various 22'pistols, the 9mm barely drops and as the 22 but the 5.7 round falls short at least 4 yds if shot straight at the center of the target, quite frankly I though it would fly better, its almost like a .45 at that range-Maybe its the ammo they are allowed to sell to civilians, its a Fiocchi with a blue plastic tip-

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ballistically its equivalent to the .22 Mag. Both do a little less than 2,000 fps with a 40 grain pill. Without penetrator ammunition the 5.7 offers very little in the performance department.

That being said I haven't shot one. Could be a fun gun, but a Ruger in .22 Mag would be a lot more economical.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
The ballistics do not look good. I'm not sure why this round exists.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The ballistics do not look good. I'm not sure why this round exists.
Its not a bad idea for military use as, with the correct bullet, it dominates most body armor. We're just not allowed to have kevlar defeating projectiles as civilians, obviously. I suppose loaded with a V-Max it would be handy for taking squirrels or terrorizing neighborhood cats, but other than that the 5.7's utility to a civilian is limited.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not a bad idea for military use as, with the correct bullet, it dominates most body armor. We're just not allowed to have kevlar defeating projectiles as civilians, obviously. I suppose loaded with a V-Max it would be handy for taking squirrels or terrorizing neighborhood cats, but other than that the 5.7's utility to a civilian is limited.
Well, I just ordered 4 boxes of SS197 and will see if it is like 22 mag or 17 HMR.

thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife loves hers. She likes the low recoil and quick follow up shots. She also really likes the safety placement where you disengage the safety with your finger instead of your thumb. (Most people find that a little funky)

I'm not sold on the effectiveness of the civilian loads myself. But, for her, it's her favorite handgun after our Ruger Mk II .22. It would probably be the first handgun she'd grab for defensive use if her M-1 Carbine wasn't available. I figure if nothing else, the 5.7 beats a .22.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.