Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuco,
Are these even a possibility? Just wondering while I drool over the pics and info of Estonian arms and equipment. Seems like warming relations between the U.S. and the Baltic states (specifically Estonia, lately) might enable future imports. Am I being too optimistic?
Best,

Poot

·
Administrator
9,469 Posts
Estonian Mosins?

Old Estonian Joke under Soviet Occupation...One Russian asks Estonian " Why do you Estonians manure your Gardens with Sump Oil?"
Reply " To protect the Rifles and MGs buried under the Cabbages".

Whether Estonia in 1919-1939 actually "marked" any of their range of Mosins, Lee-Enfields, P14s, etc is unknown...most of them were confiscated by the Soviets in 1940, and used during WWII...some are showing up in Ukrainian Deposits lately...

One lives in Hope...

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't know where it is, but there is a picture of a supposed Estonian Mosin floating around somewhere. I believe the rifle belongs to a forum member. As I recall, it had an unusual feature, or two. One was a rather P14ish front sight.

Ah, found it. Tuco has the website. Look through the pics in the Arms & Equipment section.
http://estonianarms.com/

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Estonian Joke under Soviet Occupation...One Russian asks Estonian " Why do you Estonians manure your Gardens with Sump Oil?"
Reply " To protect the Rifles and MGs buried under the Cabbages".

Whether Estonia in 1919-1939 actually "marked" any of their range of Mosins, Lee-Enfields, P14s, etc is unknown...most of them were confiscated by the Soviets in 1940, and used during WWII...some are showing up in Ukrainian Deposits lately...

One lives in Hope...

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.
Doc,
Makes one wonder how they're determining that they're Estonian and from Ukrainian stocks if they weren't marked in some sort of distinctive way. I'd imagine Latvia and Lithuania also have alot of 'garden arsenals'...

Poot

·
Administrator
9,469 Posts
Estonian Mosins Etc.

The Rifles from Ukrainian depots were P14s, some with "Mosinified" Gunstocks (?Replacements?). The Only source of P14s from that area of the former Soviet Union was the Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania); There is photographic proof of Soviet Use of captured P14s used by "Militia" and also Second Echelon Soviet troops during WW II in the relevant areas. At the enhd of WW I(I, they would have been put to store in those same areas.

As to the matter of a Mosin with a P14 front sight, or a P14 with a Mosin style stock, obviously a Interwar Baltic repair or conversion...they even fitted Mosin-type sling slots to Lee-Enfield "Short Rifles" (Cut down LE Mark I*). (photos again exist, both pre WW II and WWII partizan use.
Absent particular Estonian Property marks, the "Home grown" variations are our only guide.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts