Gunboards Forums banner

Any differences between the AVS-36 and the SKS?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KVL 
#1 ·
I have read that the SKS was derived or based on SImonov's earlier AVS automatic rifle design, and I was wondering if there any significant differences between the two.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I can tell you from experience that the SKS is a fairly close copy of the PTRS41. I have a PTRS in the safe and taking it apart you wouldn't know the difference in parts except for the size. I've seen and fired and AVS 36 but it was long ago and I didn't get to take it apart. The only thing I remember that was common to the SKS is the tipping bolt.
here are a couple pics of the PTRS, one of it apart to show internals and the other sitting next to an RPD for size comparison. The RPD is a bit longer than the SKS....

Frank

The AVS didn't use a tipping bolt. Rather, it's bolt locking system used a vertically sliding breech block. Quite different, if I'm not mistaken. Also, is the safety, cocking, gas tube, gas block, and sear and trigger setup of the PTRS the same as or similar to the SKS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.