Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Could not resist sharing this one with you - advertised locally at USD 714.

It is described as a '1914 Waffenfabrik' product (note production year and lack of ears). That apart, seems a bit short to me (no length is given) and that fuller is a bit strange... Nice frog though! I have my own ideas on what this is, but it's always nice to share 'oddities' and 'rare' ones for comment!

Who knows, somebody out there might have one just like it!

Trajan

(BTW this is the image size posted on local you-bay)

1914-ALMAN-YAPIMI-MAVZER-SUNGUSU-KINIYLA-BERABER__67550898_0.jpg

·
8,094 Posts
It appears to be fine, the blade seems to be of the correct length, I think the angle at which the photograph was taken distorts it making it look short as well as straighter than it should.

It is an Sg98/05mS aA (old Model) updated to nA (new Model) configuration by adding the flashguard and removing the cross guard ears. Nice frog but the price is a little high.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply TP. I was not happy about two things with this one. (A), the square-ended shape of the fuller at the point end, which I have not seen on a Waffenfabrik 98/05 before, and (B), the seller's claim that this is a 1914 example, as on the evidence that Carter had (his p. 82), Waffenfabrik only started producing 98/05's in 1915 and these were neue Art and ohne Sage, their first mit Sage being dated to 1916...

That apart, yes the price is way over the top. I just re-checked and re-calculated, and the seller actually wants USD 714...

Trajan

·
8,094 Posts
By "Waffenfabrik", am I correct in assuming that he means Mauser-made, am I correct? In that case you are correct but I am away from my references to confirm. The fuller looks okay to me but the photo blurs on enlargement so....

The price is not just over the top, it is almost obscene. But who knows, maybe he will find a sucker? It only takes one!:confused:

If it were under $250 it would sell quickly.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again TP. I have asked for extra photo's and I'll see what comes back. Still not happy about this being a 1914 W/fabrik product - and if it is then one that Carter missed. And also still not happy about that square-ended fuller!

But, whatever, the price is way over the top (and in a case is almost half my Turkish salary!)... My last two m.Sage 98/05's (bought over here) totalled together about USD 400 which I thought was high (well, on my salary!), but reasonable...

Trajan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts