Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This one arrived yesterday thanks to another fine member here. The action is shimmed, stock plug repairs look familiar, and the front sight is taller than my other non-Finned M91s. It is not Finn dry or pine tar though. Normal shellac type stock finish. Probably just a Balkan used one, but I got it because I thought it was a nice M91. The bore is really nice too, and still in cosmoline. I do not think it has been shot since importation. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated as obviously I am still learning. There are no import marks on it. It is a 1916 Tula, and the crest has not been defaced.

Thanks,
Doby

Edited to add: I am assuming it is Balkan, but that is a guess.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you nwellons. The c marks seem to say CCC7. At first I thought they were CCCP, lol.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sgt Lamb! I figured you would know. Then the CCC7 is a unit or rack number?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did the Romanians acquire these by purchase before or after WWII, after WWI or by capture during WWI? Or none of the above? The crest - weren't most Balkans defaced or removed? Edited to add this: In looking at the barrel shank markings I can see that there was a definite attempt to deface the PTG crest. I changed glasses and got it in better light. Some of it remains, but the attempt is now obvious to me.

I am finding little information on Balkan M91s out there. Most dealing with Romanian rifles seem to point to pater Soviet era stuff. So I apologize for what are likely very basic questions.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I know this is highly unlikely as to the possible Finnish use of this rifle - and probably I am just seeing Finn everywhere like that fly in the other thread - BUT...

I was comparing it to my known Finnish M91s (fortunately I have 8 now) and the rear sight has the extra 'step" milled into it like my Fins. It also has the same front sight as the Finns. as well, the plug repairs to the stock look similar to my Finns, and lastly the action is shimmed like the Finns. Also the bore is just in superb condition, also like my Finnish rifles.

Did the Romanians do all this work the same as the Finns? I am just wondering here but it sure does have a lot of Finnish traits on it. Unless of course those are also Romanian traits. I do know that the Finns bought rifles and parts from Romania in the 1920s, didn't they?

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
View attachment 760847 View attachment 760848 View attachment 760849

I know this is highly unlikely as to the possible Finnish use of this rifle - and probably I am just seeing Finn everywhere like that fly in the other thread - BUT...

I was comparing it to my known Finnish M91s (fortunately I have 8 now) and the rear sight has the extra 'step" milled into it like my Fins. It also has the same front sight as the Finns. as well, the plug repairs to the stock look similar to my Finns, and lastly the action is shimmed like the Finns. Also the bore is just in superb condition, also like my Finnish rifles.

Did the Romanians do all this work the same as the Finns? I am just wondering here but it sure does have a lot of Finnish traits on it. Unless of course those are also Romanian traits. I do know that the Finns bought rifles and parts from Romania in the 1920s, didn't they?
Fins are not the only ones that added the extra step to the rear sight. Front sight could easily been state-side replacement.

You bolt is also S/N'ed in the common font of Balkan rifles.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks gentlemen. Niow that I have apparently exhausted that possibility, I will go down the tortuous Balkan road of research.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts