Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
I have only seen two 98/40's in the last 20 years. One in great condition and one in poor. I bought the great condition one over 10 years ago and I have never seen parts for them.
Good luck

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
I picked one up last week in a 14 gun deal. As for wood by it's self I would say thet would be a one in a million. Even if you did since the stock is split by the receiver you probably would not find both at once.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Your best bet is probably going to be to buy a complete, but lesser quality rifle to canabalize for the wood and parts. Parts for these are scarce. If you do find somebody with a spare set of wood and hardware buy it, and then go right away and buy a lottery ticket!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,885 Posts
Remember they were made in the same factory as the M95, the buttstock is the same. A friend had a M98/40 but no butt, I got two M95 carbine stocks from Rich Reich (a sponser) and used them to make the butt, using my rifle as a model. I did ruin the first one. I still have the fore ends but they are too short to make a fore end for this rifle, perhaps you can adapt a mauser stock. Look at it this way, the stock is cheap approx $24 and you can always replace it if you find a real one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts