Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear collectors
As you probably know, a fellow called Dave George (ex-South African, now in Australia) published a nice book at his own expense, "Carvings from the Veld", documenting carved Boer War rifles. He had such a positive response that he has been collecting details on more carved rifles, and will be publishing another book soon. Whilst there is no pay-back for including your rifle, having it in a book can't hurt its value, can it?
If anyone knows of any that Dave George may not yet have a handle on, can you contact him by email? No harm in mentioning things he may already have, completeness requires some duplication along the way.
He is [email protected]
cheers, Rob

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
I have a Boer War DWM-made Mauser carbine, serial #6**1, one of a batch of 2000 made by DWM in July 1897 and shipped out to the OVS in August of that year.

It was captured at Korannafontein and is in my possession right here.

It belonged to Pieter Wilhelmus Huijsen, who was 40 at the time of his capture. He was from Klipdrift in Wolmarensstad, and he carved his name, very badly, on the right hand side of the stock.

I owe a lot of this information to Marius in the Anglo-Boer War museum in Bloemfontein, but unless you can contact me I cannot post images on this site as I live in UK, and it is not a good idea to publicise ownership of firearms here, even when they are legally held.

tac

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Tac, I wasn't aware that any carbines were shipped to the OVS - is this really an OVS marked carbine? The ZAR had a surplus of weapons and the OVS a shortage, so there was a donation of many rifles and carbines from Pretoria to Bloemfintein in the weeks before Oct 1899.
As regards anonymity, I know that of the >230 Boer mausers going into the next Carvings from the Veldt, 2 have chosen to be listed as belonging to "A collector in the UK" or similar.
What accuracy do you get with your carbine? I have shot several with excellent bores, but the sight base is so short as to seveerly limit accuracy. I am happy with a 20 inch group at 100 yds, with my own carbine.
Rob

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray
The name GJ Myburgh could relate to one of two Boers who were recorded as killed in action:
a burgher of the Rustenburg commando
or
a Veldkornet of the Johannesburg Police commando.
Of course, there may well be other with the same initals/surname who survived.
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
TFoley - P.H. Huijzer - photo for new book

Hello tac,

Rob kindly advised me about your posting, re your carbine carved to P.W. Huijzer.

As he mentioned, I am currently working on my next book on this subject and would appreciate you contacting me - and hopefuylly agreeing to send me a close-up photo (direct to my address) of the actual carving, plus serial No.?

As you are concerned, I can assure you that I will not reveal your name against a photo of this carbine. (this is always a personal choice by the individual collector or museum that send photos to me).

I am passionate about preserving the history of these wonderfully historic Boer War weapons and hope to hear from you (my one grandfather fought throughout the Boer War - hence my interest).

Cheers,

Colonial Dave

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Post some pics. As a native Boer now living in the US, I have a lot of interest in them. I had some relatives fight in the war. My great Grandfather won a medal, and was a "veldkornet", but I never knew him, he died in 1920 at the young age of 44. General Jan Smuts was my grandmothers first cousin, and she also died young, so I never got to know her family well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Boer carved Lee Enfield Carbine - breakeye & Hagar

Hello "Breakeye", Thanks for question on Carved Lee Enf. Carbine.

Yes I am certainly interested - my next book covers ALL carvings, stock-art and decorations on ANY Boer War small arms - rifles, carbines and handguns.

Of the 230 weapons so far, I have around 10 or more that were once British rifles & carbines, captured and used by the Boers (LEC, Lee-Metfords, Martini's etc). Some of these are most historic and have BOER names and battles carved onto the stocks. eg: One LEC is carved to a Boer Commandant that was later decorated.

breakeye, I hope you will be able to send me a photo of the actual carving, and serial No (as I record all serial No's against each weapon). I would be happy to include & feature in the new book.

Groete Hagar, I am also an ex-Japie now living in Aussie-land.

You can see a selection of photos of carved rifles in my first book - Title = "CARVINGS from the VELDT" - refer to my website:
www.boerwarcarvings.bravehost.com

Look under "Gallery" and "New Pictures".

Thanks chaps,

Colonial Dave.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,887 Posts
Lee Metford Carbine Mark 1, dated 1895, 4745A. left buttstock marked: G(?). C. Pretorius. Wrist is marked in a wrap around: Knopjes loonte 1899. In a ribbon on left side of stock: S. Arlow. Loonte could be Looyte? Some of the German style letters are hard to intrepret.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Tac, I wasn't aware that any carbines were shipped to the OVS - is this really an OVS marked carbine? The ZAR had a surplus of weapons and the OVS a shortage, so there was a donation of many rifles and carbines from Pretoria to Bloemfintein in the weeks before Oct 1899.
As regards anonymity, I know that of the >230 Boer mausers going into the next Carvings from the Veldt, 2 have chosen to be listed as belonging to "A collector in the UK" or similar.
What accuracy do you get with your carbine? I have shot several with excellent bores, but the sight base is so short as to seveerly limit accuracy. I am happy with a 20 inch group at 100 yds, with my own carbine.
Rob
Mine is the only carbine I have ever seen. I was informed a few years ago by a poster on the Mauser board that it was an OVS contract weapon, but it has no markings on it to show that. The serial number is 6691, by the way, even on the LH side of the stock, and is is marked all over with cartouches. I don't think anybody is going to use that information to carry out any nefarious acts.

Although the bore looks good and bright, mine shoots like a shotgun, as I am not allowed to buy the correct-shaped near cylindrical 175gr round-nose bullets here in UK - the only ones available are soft-point, prohibited ammunition unless your 'ticket' is marked for stalking, as well as forbidden on most ranges.

As for loaning it out for an exhibition, you just have to be joking - there is no way on earth that any firearm that I own is going to be let out of my care for any purpose except a trip to a gunsmith - in fact, I'm not certain how anybody in the UK can 'lend' a registered firearm to anybody outside the UK.

If you e-mail me, I am happy to send you images of my carbine, but not for publication on this or any other forum/site.

tac

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Tac, sorry if I did not make myself clear - no, there is no exhibition - it is only pictures of the guns which are going into Dave's book. I reload with 175g round nosed FMJ and about 40 grains Vit N160, which replicates the original round quite well (the long rifles and carbine shoot to point of aim, though the long rifles group far better).
my club (HBSA) has a competition called the Siege of Ladysmith which we will hold again in the spring at Bisley - 5 snaps and 5 rapids at 100 yds - you could come down and enter the carbine category, I'll be happy to lend you the ammo.

Breakeye, That is excellent - a Boer-captured LMCC probably captured by GC Pretorius and re-captured by Arlow. There certainly was one burgher GC Pretorius killed in action, his commando is not recorded. Knopjeslaagte is the name of his farm, now an area of urbanisation in the mid-rand (Tansvaal). The markings on the stock disc show the carbine was issued in July 1895 to the 2nd Dragoons. (The Royal Scots Greys) whose Boer War record can be found at http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Midlothian/EdinburghBoerWarScotsGreys.htm.

Helpful?

Rob

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,887 Posts
Outstanding and many thanks. Your spelling can certanly be applied to what I see. Do you want better pictures or more pixels? best, p.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Breakeye, contact Dave by email, and he'll tell you what resolution would be suitable for the book. Some things about carved Boer War rifles that I have discovered (though Dave is the world expert and will probably say more):
The 1st owner is usually carved on the right of the buttstock (away from the cheek when firing) and later owners or emelishments may occur anywhere; The farm name is very often mentioned; the date 1899 is common, and indicates the date the ABW began or the date the burgher enlisted- other dates may follow, indicating engagements, but if 1902 is there, it usually means it was carved on a troop ship en route back to Australia or NZ; initials in a heart indicate a sweetheart's initials; a commando artist/carver often carved several rifles from the same family or section (get a copy of Carvings from the Veldt from Dave and you will probably see one or more rifles carved by the same hand as yours). British troops never carved their rifles, the exception being units where the rifle was the property of the soldier e.g. Lovat's Scouts, and captured/recaptured rifles where Aus/NZ troops are concerned. Finally, Boers began to use .303s increasingly after the fall of their capitals in mid-1900, so it is likely that your LMCC was used by GC Pretorius in the latter part of the war (guerilla phase). The 2nd Dragoons history mentions episodes where squadrons of cavalry were surrounded and captured, and that is probably where yours came into Pretorius' possession.

Rob

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Tac, sorry if I did not make myself clear - no, there is no exhibition - it is only pictures of the guns which are going into Dave's book. I reload with 175g round nosed FMJ and about 40 grains Vit N160, which replicates the original round quite well (the long rifles and carbine shoot to point of aim, though the long rifles group far better).
my club (HBSA) has a competition called the Siege of Ladysmith which we will hold again in the spring at Bisley - 5 snaps and 5 rapids at 100 yds - you could come down and enter the carbine category, I'll be happy to lend you the ammo. Rob
Rob - I got this email this morning from Pieter de Jager, an ABW buff and local historian who is my contact via a hotel and conference centre in Wolmarensstad. He is a cattle breeder on a farm near Korannafontein where Mijneer Van Huijsen was captured -

'Hallo Thierry
Yes the internet is a wonderful invention! Thanks for the beautiful images of your little carbine. It is indeed a well-loved and cared for gun and I am sure that Piet van Huijsen would by very satisfied if he could see it today! The name is definitely Van Huijsen.

I will off cause send you more about the skirmish at Korannafontein. The only problem is that it is in Afrikaans and I have to translate it first.

We are going away for a week or so and I will do it for you as soon as I am back again.

Sincerely

Pieter'

If you are equable, I'll keep you and the board informed about any progress, although it's only a small part in the scheme of things.

And please note that I also reload, but cannot find the FMJ round-nosed bullets in my nek of the woods - only the soft-points that I am prohibited from buying. If you know of a dealer where I can get the correct L-O-N-G cylindrical bullets in FMJ, as you seem to be able to do, please let me know where it is.

...and please read your pm.

tac

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Tac, bullets available from http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/reloading.php at £12.95 per 100.
My pm inbox is empty - did you send something?
Rob
Thanks, I know Mr Lawman - he is a supplier for many members of my club. Sadly, his e-mail address gets me a mailer-daemon, as ever, that is why I personally have never had any dealings with him. Nor does he list a 7mm/,284 bullet like yours.....

See your e-mail.

tac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Carving on LEC and Mauser carbine - breakeye & tac

Lee Metford Carbine Mark 1, dated 1895, 4745A. left buttstock marked: G(?). C. Pretorius. Wrist is marked in a wrap around: Knopjes loonte 1899. In a ribbon on left side of stock: S. Arlow. Loonte could be Looyte? Some of the German style letters are hard to intrepret.
Hello breakeye and tac,
Thanks for posting pics. I would love to feature BOTH carbines in new book - but as Rob says, I would need you to send me higher resolution photos direct to my email (please). These will reproduce far better in book format.
If OK with you both tac and breakeye.... ?

1) tac, I only require the close-up pic with "P. Huijsen" - the full carving of name & initials please (as I have numerous pics of Mauser carbines featured in the book). It's the carved name & history of the Boer that I want to relate & record for future generations.

2) breakeye - I would very much like 2 or 3 of your photos - eg: close-up shots of each side of butt - and "wrap-around" carving at wrist (if possible). I have noted the serial No's etc.
(I have a similar LEC - disc stamped 1899 to 5th Dragoon Guards - 5 DG).

You may be as interested as I was (when I saw your pics). I have another Mauser carbine (in new book) that is carved (as Rob correctly says) by the very same artistic burger as yours.
The name "S. ARLOW" also appears on this carbine (as well as another Boer name). Arlow is the carver (I fully believe) - and he carved other burger's weapons - but registered his own name as the "artist". Really an interesting find. I have several other cases where the same artist has carved a number of Mausers.
(I cannot send pics of this carbine, as it belongs to another collector.)

If OK with you guys, can you please send pics direct to;
[email protected]

Thanks again - hope to hear from you guys,

Best in collecting & shooting,

Colonial Dave.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts