Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice little Martini Cadet BSA I love to shoot it, mines been modded to chamber the 32/20W straight from the box but otherwise its dead stock, it has sling swivels and its condition is above excellent, anyone know what the timber was that was used, it has magnificent graining and is very attractive, has the 3rd Military District stamp, just a pity the stock markings are not legible.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
I have a nice little Martini Cadet BSA I love to shoot it, mines been modded to chamber the 32/20W straight from the box but otherwise its dead stock, it has sling swivels and its condition is above excellent, anyone know what the timber was that was used, it has magnificent graining and is very attractive, has the 3rd Military District stamp, just a pity the stock markings are not legible.
The Cadets, of which I have two (one that I restored after prior butchery, one that has been converted to .218 Mashburn Bee by somebody who knew what he was about and is a real beauty), were stocked with walnut. Presumably English walnut since they were made in Britain, but possibly sourced from someplace in Europe. I'm a real fan of them myself and wish I had more. Lovely little guns.

Factory 32-20 (a/k/a 32 WCF) is usually loaded with bullets that are signficantly undersized for the 310 Greener (a/k/a 310 Cadet) bore and accuracy suffers. This can be dealt with by reloading using a bullet of proper diameter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Andy since you live in Australia you can still pick up a lot of difrent versions of the cadets reasonably cheap,I have type A westerly richards,a francot 297/230 greener & BSA type A&Bstrying to do a trade for a type B westerly richards all NSW marked ,the one that has eluded me is the NSW Braendlin cadet .450 No1 carbine

·
99,373 Posts
Clyde, I think only one is a cadet, I could be wrong though.
Yes, only one. My bad, Rick. Other is, probably, a commercial small-action Martini, set up with a good tang sight and appears to be a take-down, maybe. Target gun, I think. COULD be a Cadet with scrubbed markings and a heavy barrel and tang rear sight, of course, but probably commercial.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sure I can remember seeing one day at a gun shop a carbine version of a 310 Cadet, this thing was tiny and the dealer at the time said it was original, I wasnt into them at the time so left it, you see some bueatiful markings on them Cadets, the one pictured in the replys with the stripes on the fore grip is just gorgeous, I would like to get hold of one thats been messed with and have one chambered for .38/357 Mag, there still about in reasonable numbers here just the price can be fanciful at times.

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
Now that would be an interesting one, a Carbine 310.

·
99,373 Posts
Hmm. OK - one with the beaver-tail fore-stock and the tang sight is a BSA in .310, and the one one with the full stock and Cadet-tsyle rear sight on the barrel is a Greener in .32 Win Spl, right? What are the markings on each, and where?

I think your Greener is likelyu an Australian Cadet, originally in 310, and converted to 32 Win Spl. Bet it kicks like a mule with factory ammo (mine - a BSA converted by rechambering and cutting the fore-stock back to sporter style - did; plumb vicious). If the BSA in sporter/target fit is in 310, it might have started out a Cadet, but is sure has been scrubbed. And rebarrelled, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts