Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this old H&R .32 caliber top break hammerless with pearl grips in very nice condition. I want to sell it but need to know if it is an antique or not. It has a patent date of Oct. 8, 1895 and a serial number of 17XX (there are two extra digits but they are obviously something added). If production of this model started in 1895, I could assume that it is pre 1899 by the low serial number but that would just be an assumption. Is there any concrete information relating to dates of manufacture for H&R revolvers? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Anything manufactured prior to 1899 is an antique.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PappaPooter, thanks very much for the link. I checked it and I seem to come up with a later date of manufacture. Mine is marked 32 S&W CTG on the left side of the barrel and has the two line makers name and address markings on the top rib with one patent date. So from what I read on the website, this indicates manufacture after 1905.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,339 Posts
That may be accurate. I'm no expert, I'm just addicted to collecting top breaks. I suggest that your contact Mr. Goforth on his web site. I'm sure he can give you an answer.
+1 on that; Bill Goforth knows these like nodody else and is a very nice and helpful guy.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
BTW, There is an odd characteristic of old H&R top brakes: the full serial number will be located under the top strap, which is visible with the cylinder removed. Also, the older models had a button on the left side above the cylinder which was used to remove the cylinder. Newer models did not have this button.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.