Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some old Marlins recently. I’m more of a Winchester guy but these had the been there done that look- can anyone lead me in the right direction on where to research these if there’s is such a thing? I did a basic search on serial numbers. The octagon barrel is dated ~1890 and the round barreled rifle is Feb 1881?(I think) the serial number is below 4,000 and is preceded with a “B”

Both are well worn but actions cycle nicely. The caliber designation on the 1881 rifle is worn off in assuming 32-20 ? The octagon barrel is chambered in 32-20 as well.
Wanting to do a little a research before I decide to keep or pass them along to someone who enjoys Marlins.
Thanks for the help!

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,414 Posts
Picked up some old Marlins recently. I’m more of a Winchester guy but these had the been there done that look- can anyone lead me in the right direction on where to research these if there’s is such a thing? I did a basic search on serial numbers. The octagon barrel is dated ~1890 and the round barreled rifle is Feb 1881?(I think) the serial number is below 4,000 and is preceded with a “B”

Both are well worn but actions cycle nicely. The caliber designation on the 1881 rifle is worn off in assuming 32-20 ? The octagon barrel is chambered in 32-20 as well.
Wanting to do a little a research before I decide to keep or pass them along to someone who enjoys Marlins.
Thanks for the help!
View attachment 3828205 View attachment 3828206
Never been keen on that calibre but a couple of good pieces of history there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
1881 was Marlins first lever model, and looks very different from either of these... look one up to see what I mean.
Round barrel looks to be a model 1893, with an 1893 patent date on it, so it can't be older than that. Original chamberings were 32-40, 30-30, and 38-55, others were added after the turn of the century I believe.
Octagon looks to be an 1894 model, which would be a 24" barrel originally and could be had in 25-20, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1881 was Marlins first lever model, and looks very different from either of these... look one up to see what I mean.
Round barrel looks to be a model 1893, with an 1893 patent date on it, so it can't be older than that. Original chamberings were 32-40, 30-30, and 38-55, others were added after the turn of the century I believe.
Octagon looks to be an 1894 model, which would be a 24" barrel originally and could be had in 25-20, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40
Thanks for the information Normanator. I Looked at the tang - on the octagon rifle its worn off. I can't tell. The Round barrel rifle seems to have that homemade leather wrap that looks as old as the rifle on it and its covering the tang.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,115 Posts
Get some Cerrosafe, Wood's Metal or other low melting point alloy (Midway or Brownell's are good sources) and make a chamber cast. Measure same and will be able to (in company with a barrel slug) determine chambering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts