Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the foreign collectors asked me about the process of international shipping for antique firearms (from US to other country).
It is my understanding that antique firearm do not fall under BATF transaction and shipping requirements. But, I could not find any information on BATF, USPS or UPS websites regarding antique firearm shipping.
My e-mail to USPS did not give any results either (I was told to contact my local post office and BATF).
Does anyone have any experience in international transaction of such type.
Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I think the burden is on the IMPORTER not the exporter.
If it gets stuck in customs on his end, it's not your problem.
HE should be looking into the legality of the transaction.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
There was another thread this week concerning this same thing. I agree with chasdev that it is more of a problem for the person receiving the firearm.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I export high performance engine parts to Mexico and the UPS guys at this end could care less what I send as long as I filled in all the boxes properly on the forms....
The Mexican customs guys may or MAY NOT allow my customers to pick up the boxes.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I export high performance engine parts to Mexico and the UPS guys at this end could care less what I send as long as I filled in all the boxes properly on the forms....
The Mexican customs guys may or MAY NOT allow my customers to pick up the boxes.
Of course the UPS guys don't care...as long as your forms are correct, they won't go to jail if you have broken a law on export. But you might. :eek:

·
Gold Bullet member
1,404 Posts
I have recently imported two antique rifles from the US to New Zealand, and am in the process of getting another one (maybe two) sent out to me.

The two I received had nothing other than "antique firearms" written on the customs declaration to show what was inside. As long as you do your part at your end (which seems to be just packing the item nicely, taking it to the post office and writing two words on a piece of paper) I'm sure you will have nothing comeback on you should things go pear shaped.

To be certain that things won't go messy, ask for a copy of your buyers import permit (if their country requires it) before you will ship. NZ doesn't differentiate between 'Antique' and 'Modern' firearms - I need to have an Import Permit.

I apply for my Import Permit before any rifles are shipped to me - I don't have to do this, I can wait for the rifles to show up in NZ, and apply for the permit then. It took less than 24 hours for my last Import Permit to show up in my letterbox after I dropped the application into the Police Station. I email a scan of the permit to the seller so they (and any other official person who sees fit to inspect the parcel), can be sure that everything is sweet at my end.

I haven't gone down the path of importing post-1899 rifles out of the US yet, but I might yet consider it.....maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts